Safari 4 'Top Sites' Settings

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AppleThis&That, Jun 30, 2009.

1. AppleThis&That macrumors regular

AppleThis&That

Does anyone know how to change the URL of your top sites to the actual homepage? I have my favorite sites picked in edit mode but it doesn't let you change the URL to a homepage but just the last page you visited.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Maybe I'm missing something.

2. freesonwang macrumors member

Are you asking for a quick way to get to Top Sites? There's a button for that in View -> "Customize Toolbar...".

Or are you asking to pin specific sites to Top Sites? (You just drag the favicon from another window into the Top Sites area).

3. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Theyre asking for a way to edit the URL of a top site so that selecting it will take you to that site's homepage.

For example, say I looked at a certain MacRumors article more then I looked at the MacRumors homepage. By default, clicking on MacRumors in Top Sites will take me to that article, as that's the one I've viewed the most. Instead of this happening, the OP would like to be able to edit it so it just takes you straight to the MR homepage instead of said article.

At least that's the kind of scenario that I got from reading that post.

4. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

Just did a little test on my Top Sites page. What you can do is type the address of the homepage you want into the address field while on the Top Sites page. Next drag the favicon from the address field to the place you want it in the Top Sites and it will replace the current address, as long as it's not pinned down.

5. freesonwang macrumors member

aka, you can drag links/favicons and then permanently pin them down in top sites =D

6. TioLoco macrumors newbie

That's what i was gonna say

7. AppleThis&That thread starter macrumors regular

AppleThis&That

Thanks guys. This is what I was looking for. :) This is way better than just having the last visited page. Thanks again.

8. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

Yes, but you don't have to load the site to add the link to the Top Sites. I didn't know this before. You can type anything into the address field and then drag it to the Top Sites without actually submitting the info in the address field. It will then update the image/address in Top Sites after you drag and drop it.