Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phillyeagles615

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2009
i still miss the tabs on the top. that was a feature apple emphasized in the beta. not that it made much of a difference but i def got used to it

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Hum if you've installed iTunes on Windows the software update DOES NOT ask you to install Safari. The only way it'll show Safari 4 as an update is if you have safari 3 installed. And since it is quite simple to not download the update ( a simple check ) there is no way that more than a dozen people downloaded Safari 4 without meaning to do so. Plus no regular windows user is using Safari. You have to go a bit off the beaten path in order to install Safari on windows.

No, I opened iTunes yesterday, and it came up "Itunes is out of date bla bla bla...." and the update box had itunes checked, and it also had a box for new software, and safari 4 was in there, checked by default. I run windows 7, and I only use IE8.

Data

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2006
For me it's not working as good as safari3 did, it's crashing a lot on me on all my mac's.
Hope this gets better soon with un update.

iheijoushin

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2007
Boston, MA
I'll use Safari 4 until Chrome for Mac is finalized. Safari 4 has some great features but it's prone to locking up mysteriously when using certain features like bookmarks and history.

I gotta tell you, Chrome is one sweet ride in Windows. If it's half as good in Mac OS X I'm sold.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
3 here! Installed it on my cousins new Netbook. It's just lightning fast compared to any IE. Plus for someone who isn't 100% computer literate that Top Sites feature is just brilliant.

rlmccormick

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2008
I noticed someone on the local news was still using Safari 4 Beta. He was going over the news with a video feed from his Mac screen this morning. That is a strange way to do the news. Using tabs to switch to different news stories and talking about them. Tabs were at the top.

Am I the only one that was surprised to see the tabs move down?

lamadude

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
Brussels, BE
I prefer tabs on the bottom so that's one thing safari 4 got right.

I still won't use it though, since it doesn't have basic features I need, like switching the language of the spell correction. So I'll stick to firefox.
They compare Safari 4 to Firefox 3, which is fair of course, but the speed of firefox 3.5 is much faster.

bobsentell

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2008
Alabama
I have windows, and the only reason I have Safari is for accessing MobileMe (shockingly, it doesn't like IE). I downloaded Safari 2 times, one for each system, as part of the Apple Software Update program, and I hardly use the thing. I also have Firefox, but only use it sites designed for it. Otherwise I use IE8 with no problems.

These numbers may be inflated a bit from people like me who like having a couple different browsers available. That may not translate into usage.

On a related note, my general boycott of all things Google prevents me from using Chromium.

MacLover4491

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2009
I am downloading safari 4 right now. Will give it a try. Usually it doesnt perform very well compared to Firefox and chrome

Shookster

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2009
I think a lot of people were just downloading it to try it out. The real question is - how many of that 100 million will still be using it this time next month?

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
What's the deal with Safari?

So...what's the big hoopla, in general, about Safari? I own both Windows and Macs and I use either IE or Firefox on Windows and FF 100% on the Macs. I don't have any Mac friends/peers so I don't know what the big deal is about Safari as a whole. FF was released the same time as Safari.

Also, as some have implied on this thread, is Safari bundled with iTunes and/or Mac OS so that if an "update" is done for either iTunes or the OS that the user is forced to get Safari...and hence count as a "download" on this announcement? If so, that would hugely skew the announcement since people are being forced to get it.

-Eric

reivilo

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2008
From Safari 3.2.3 To Safari 4.0 And Back - 11,000,000 Minus One

I contributed to this 11 million record. I downloaded Safari 4.0 and tested it on my iMac 20" G5 (I known, it's not the latest release). What I've found:

Heavy and slow program - more resources are used and the response time is slow, especially for additional features like the Topsites page.

Complicated interface - the address bar is a mess, combining too many buttons. The tabs are bigger so fewer pages could be opened simultaneously.

Poor ergonomics - there's no more a progress bar, but a nice message saying "Downloading". I want ergonomics back!

And the end of the day, I deleted Safari 4.0 and went back to Safari 3.2.3. Light and fast, ergonomic and reliable.

So 11,000,000 minus one = 10,999,999 :)

qbricc

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2007
Helping people start the switch

Hey, don't underestimate the impact of positive software experiences in the process of people switching from Windows OS to Mac. Safari was the second piece of Mac software I used after itunes on my PC and helped convince me that I wanted to switch over. Maybe all the recent news about the iphone has helped push Windows users towards other Mac software.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Maybe it is just me, but it doesn't seem that much faster than Firefox to me.

sishaw

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2005
Safari 4 and the beta both kills my work pc. If it is open it and all my other programs run at half speed. I would love to use it but it's a no go.

Funny thing is, it works beautifully on my 4-year old iBook--better than Firefox. It sometimes pauses a little while loading up a page, but in general, it's very smooth. Huh.

KCMichaelB

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2008
Kansas, USA
You gotta figure that most of those Windows downloads were Boot Camp users. I'm sure there's a few Safari fans on Windows, but lets not delude ourselves ...

Why would you think that? There are a lot of iPod Touch users that have Windows computers with iTunes and Quicktime installed. Why not Safari? I downloaded and installed Safari on 3 of my Windows computers.

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
Hey, don't underestimate the impact of positive software experiences in the process of people switching from Windows OS to Mac. Safari was the second piece of Mac software I used after itunes on my PC and helped convince me that I wanted to switch over. Maybe all the recent news about the iphone has helped push Windows users towards other Mac software.

This is clearly Apple's motive ... expose Windows users to the look and feel of Mac OS X software with the hope that it will eventually encourage users to consider a Mac. It's brilliant.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
about 15 seconds for the reply page to load. not sure if it is Tiger or my work internet slowing it down but Safari 3 was FASTER at work.

Have yet to download for home use.

I HATE the "progress" mini bar, i liked the blue bar growing as the page loaded so I knew how much longer till the page was finished loading.

I also DISLIKE the STOP/REFRESH on the right side of the address bar.

Top Sites is cool but slow and slow to load a page when clicked.
History hangs with Cover Flow preview.

ok, not as great as Hyped for me just yet.

NinjaHERO

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2008
U S of A
I just hope the more widespread use of Safari means that more sites start setting themselves up for it. The only reason I use firefox is because Safari had problems on half the sites I visit, like yahoo. Stupid yahoo, support safari.

lezzafeatures

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2008
Anyone found a method of copying Safari Bookmarks Leopard into Safari Bookmarks Windows XP without faffing about?
ie, the same easy way that firefox uses backup and restore....

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Actually you would be surprised.

You gotta figure that most of those Windows downloads were Boot Camp users. I'm sure there's a few Safari fans on Windows, but lets not delude ourselves ...

Safari is a very good alternative to the crap called Internet Explorer. More stable and faster.

Dave

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.