Safari 4 Trackpad Gestures

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Cattywampus_, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Cattywampus_ macrumors 6502

Hi there,

Does anyone know if I can add gestures to Safari? I would like to get it to move to the next tab with a rotate gesture.

This feature is coming in Firefox 3.5 - wondered if it were possible in Safari 4.0?

Thanks.

2. Jonathan_W macrumors member

3. bogdanw macrumors newbie

Unknown feature

When I press the ball of my mighty mouse in Firefox two arrows appear (up and down) and I can navigate faster to the top or the bottom of the page. When I press the ball in Safari nothing happens.
    Any ideas?

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

the arrow is shown for up and down, but actually you can move left and right as well.

This remind me I need to submit a bug report to mozilla, it should tell users that. up and down arrow does not reflect the complete function.

5. Cattywampus_ thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah found Multiclutch - works ok but don't think its been updated properly to work with OSX 10.5.6 / Safari 4.0. Configuring it only works properly the first time after installing. After that you have to enter key numbers for combinations (i.e. 55,56,24 etc).

6. stownsend3 macrumors member

MultiClutch is definitely the way to go. I use it on my MBA. For Safari I use these gestures:

Three-Finger Swipe Up --> New Tab
    Three-Finger Swipe Down --> Close Tab
    Three-Finger Swipe Left --> Back
    Three-Finger Swipe Right --> Forward

Also, customized the toolbar to take off forward / back arrows. Now when I use on my desktop it feels weird to not use gestures.

7. stownsend3 macrumors member

I haven't experienced any of those issues. I'm running 10.5.6 and Safari 4 Beta. I just had to cancel Safari gestures, then reapply using a link directly to Safari 4. I have also removed Safari 3... you may want to try that.

8. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

have you had any problems with multiclutch... i have heard mixed reviews...

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

oh, my bad, its not a bug after all, it will have all the arrows when needed.

Attached Files:

10. stownsend3 macrumors member

None at all. I don't use the global settings (other than three-finger swipe down --> close window). Other things in Safari are rotate right / left to switch right / left in tabs... Office applications i use UP --> save, DOWN --> quit, ROTATE RIGHT --> Print.

Sometimes finder won't register gestures, but I have no complaints.

11. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

very cool!! thanks for the info... i haven't heard much about the actual program here on MR until recently

12. bogdanw macrumors newbie

What about Safari?

Well, glad you clarified that.
    What about Safari?

13. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

you might need to file a bug report to apple for that.

14. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

The best Multi-Touch gestures for Safari are the standard three fingers left/right to go forward/back and using three fingers up/down to switch between tabs. This makes browsing so so easy... I start sweating when I have to browse on a PC.

15. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

thats basic, op was asking for more.

if you dont know pc, you can tap left Conner of trackpad to go back/forward