Safari 4 unusable on Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Action, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Action macrumors member

I did a clean install of Snow Leopard back when it was released (I'm currently at 10.6.2). Ever since moving to Snow Leopard, Safari 4 has been beachballing so often it's unusable. Sure, it'll launch really fast...but theres a 50% chance that'll it'll beachball for a couple seconds after launching. In fact, almost every action (loading webpages, viewing bookmarks, navigation preferences) has a pretty high chance of causing safari to beachball for a few seconds.

I've repaired disk permissions, reset safari (cache, cookies, etc.)...nothing makes a difference. I'm using no plugins either. Any ideas?

EDIT: I'm using a 2.4ghz Penryn MBP with 4gb ram.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. covisio macrumors 6502

covisio

4. Action thread starter macrumors member

Yea, no problems there.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Well use that or use webkit. Webkit is safari technically speaking. It is just way more awesome.

6. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Webkit is awesome. Never had issues with Safari 4. When you did a clean install, did you migrate any settings over?

7. Action thread starter macrumors member

nope

8. azulita macrumors newbie

One possible fix is suggested here:
    http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20090622144614397&query=safari+freeze

"After being ready to delete the impacted user, I realized that there were some issues with the database.sqlite3 file in the Library » PubSub » Database folder. The PubSub folder is used for tracking RSS feeds, and it seems my problem resided there.

After deleting the database.sqlite file, and reseting the Mobile Me information, the freezes and crashes stopped. Hope this helps others, too. "