Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iAppleONE

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
Does anyone know if theres URL search in Safari 4? For example, Firefox allows you to type 'rumors' and it will pop up macrumors.com. Is there a add on for Safari 4? Thanks!

Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
Like the first poster said, use Keywurl. It easy and a great. Also, please search before you post, becuase this has been discussed many times before(
including my own thread).

dergringer

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2009
an even better tool for that is GLIMS

http://www.machangout.com/

Is it possible to get the "awesome bar" functionality from firefox in Safari? Like if I type "rumors" it displays a dropdown box with all the sites containing rumors in its URL. Safari does that only for URLs starting with that string. I'm using quicksilver for that, but having that in Safari would be great!

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
Is it possible to get the "awesome bar" functionality from firefox in Safari? Like if I type "rumors" it displays a dropdown box with all the sites containing rumors in its URL. Safari does that only for URLs starting with that string. I'm using quicksilver for that, but having that in Safari would be great!

I think this is exactly the OP was asking about, not url keyword search like Keywurl provides. As far as I'm aware there is no way to add the "Awesome Bar" functionality to Safari, unfortunately.

freesonwang

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2009
Safari makes so many "what the hell?" choices. Safari DOES search "bookmarks and history", but by bookmarks and history search, it means that it only searches the URLs of those links. Who the hell remembers URLs? So basically it's the same awesome bar thinking, but not the right implementation - the NotSoAwesome Bar *rimshot*.

And in full support of Glims. But realize that with every freakin' update Glims breaks and you will have to wait for the developer to fix the compatibility. The developer is great and usually does it in a few (like three?) days, but you will be unable to use Glims for that period of time.

And still no "undo close tab, and remember the history of the tab" with Safari? *sigh*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.