Safari 4 vs the competition

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by NoSmokingBandit, Jun 11, 2009.

1. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

2. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

Why did they test Firefox 3.5 b99? I thought the idea was to test against released browsers? Which would have meant Firefox 3.0.11. :confused:

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

read the first paragraph of the article.

anyway, js speed and memory are really only a small part of internet experience. Its meaningful, but far from useful.

4. dws90 macrumors regular

There's no question - Firefox 3.0.11 would be crushed by the competition, simply because it's a generation behind. If they really wanted to be fair, they would have waited until Firefox 3.5 final was released, but that's a bit silly - at this point, Firefox 3.5 is pretty much down, with just some bug tweaking left. While it's possible its speed will change, the preview certainly gives us a pretty good idea of what the final product will look like.

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

not likely. Firefox 3.0.x may be even slower in js, but its still ahead in memory management.

and it still has 7000+ addons, and still offers more out of box functions. and still run everything smoothly.

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Is any product ever as great as its maker claims?

I can see Chrome being quicker on some of those metrics, but a lot of that comes from the fact that it lacks the features of other browser currently. It still has some catching up to do, and as it does, the metrics will change bringing Chrome down some (not a ton). Each browser has its benefits. Firefox keeps me though, but I still like the others, except IE of course.

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

As I've said elsewhere I usually find Safari to be marginally faster than Firefox, Safari 4 even more so. But the terrible UI and lack of expandability (relative to FF) keeps me away.

8. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

I think it's not right to test Safari under Windows. I find Safari for Windows much worse than the Mac version. From the slow loading time to the freezes and crashes.

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

its obvious that the article is written by, and for windows users, thats where you get all those browsers. There is no chrome 2.0 available on a mac.

10. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

I know, but the problem is that these kind of articles are making Safari look worse than it is...after all, Apple's software runs great only under Apple's OS.

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

:D, I actually agree with you said, I found apple's pc version softwares generally annoying.

Still, it is said that safari 4 is better integrated with windows, such efforts should be applauded.

you can suggest lifehacker to a mac browsers smackdown as well, im sure they are happy to.