Safari 4

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by G.T., Feb 28, 2009.

1. G.T. macrumors 6502a

I'm not liking Safari 4 much, however, I know it is in the beta stage but I think that the new features are not brilliant like "top sites".

Anyway the main thing I want to bring to your attention is that since safari 4 I have had MSN issues. Messenger won't let me type after I send a message, I have to manually select the text box to type again.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You will want to send this in to Apple as a bug report
    Click on the "bug icon" in the upper right corner of Safari 4

While the community here may be interested, they cannot do anything to correct the issue

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. G.T. thread starter macrumors 6502a

I had already reported this. I just wanted to bring this to the attention to others and see if they have the same issues.

Also how are people finding the new safari?

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I generally like it. My favorite feature is that full-page zoom now works - images and text zoom in and out pretty seamlessly. I've loved it in Firefox, and now I love it in Safari.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Just starting to use it myself
    I haven't had any issues so far

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Top Sites doesn't do my Top Sites.

Other than that, I like it even better than the Safari 4 Developer Preview; it's just as stable.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Safari 4 & MSN Messenger issues:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=658615
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=656968
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=657007
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=656819

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The biggest issue I have is with Top Sites, and I don't know how it's avoidable. One of the forums that I go to puts New next to every new post when you visit a page. When you open Top Sites, the page gets loaded in the thumbnail and all the News appear. When you actually click the thumbnail to go to the site, the page reloads and all of the News disappear because they're technically no longer new.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

They work fine for me, with Safari 4.

10. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

The main thing that I want to bring to your attention is the search feature on MR.

11. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

Yes, all these issues exist, but that's why it's a beta. I'm confident a fix for most technical issues will be made.

My issue is with the tabs on top - which I actually like. The problem is when I click a tab, and it doesn't get selected, I naturally click again - but this often activates the minimise feature of the menu bar. Annoying. Similarly, sometimes I try to click a tab, but I end up dragging the window instead. It's a good idea to maximise window space by utilising 'blank' areas, but now there are multiple functions within the same space.

12. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

That's weird... I just tried them with Firefox one the same machine and they work just fine... Oh well, must be one of those things..

13. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

Be good for those of us surfing on 13" screens to have a full screen zoom so as to loose the menus/buttons at the top and dock at the bottom, giving me more space for what I want to see. Or is there a way to do that already?

14. bilboa macrumors regular

I have this exact problem. There are several forums I use, where I use the New Posts feature, and Top Sites gets in the way of that working, just as you described. This annoyed me enough that I actually disabled the Top Sites feature.

This is no big deal to me though, since even aside from this problem, I found that while I thought Top Sites looked neat, I wasn't actually using it to get to pages very often. The combination of the bookmarks bar, and the address field completion, work better for me than using Top Sites anyway.

I also didn't like the tabs at the top, and used the tip posted elsewhere to make the tabs go back to their old location. Now I'm liking Safari 4 just fine, though without Top Sites and tabs-on-top, there's not a whole lot of noticeable difference from Safari 3.