Safari 5.0.1 Crashes/Quits

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tlocane, Aug 14, 2010.

1. tlocane macrumors newbie

I am running Safari 5.0.1 on both my MacPro (OS 10.5.11) and my new MacBook Pro (new 2010 model w/ OS 10.6.4). Both Safari's have extensions loaded:

MacPro: Reload Button, Amazon Search Bar, PageSaver, The New York Times
    MacBookPro: Reload Button, Amazon Search Bar

Safari on my MacPro seems to be running fine. On my MacBookPro, I am experiencing slow downs, automatic quits and crashes.

I will be in Yahoo mail for example, and some of the links to check for mail will not be active, which is a clue that it either will quit on me, or need to be reloaded several times before it responds. Most often, however, Safari quits.

Has anyone experienced this with Snow Leopard? I've searched Apple's site and this, but have not found any relevant info. Thanks.

2. Keniff macrumors 6502a

Keniff

I get the same problem, often there's a warning with Flash Player 10.6
    But Safari seem's to be running slow and clumsy, quitting at random moments.
    I think the last 2 updates of Safari have been disappointing.
    I Wish Apple would sort it out, as I'm not a fan of Firefox, but I've heard Opera is stable.
    Even opening up this page was Laggy

3. tlocane thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree about the last few Safari updates. I use Firefox as a backup to Safari. I prefer Safari's speed to Firefox but often have to rely on Firefox when Safari won't properly load a page or repeatedly quits.

I just download Google Chrome but found it's quite buggy if there is a font issue ... specially with 3rd party font management software installed. I had two different Arial and Verdana typefaces loaded ... one that came with the Mac OS and versions that I bought from different font foundries a few years ago.

Chrome did not display type correctly until I disabled one of the Arial and Verdana fonts. Chrome now displays properly; but I am not a fan of its interface ... not as user friendly as Safari.

4. Keniff macrumors 6502a

Keniff

I have a friend that works at an Apple Store and he was saying, that they won't even install the last 2 updates up Safari in any of the machines in the shop, as it's so buggy and it won't help with sales

5. tlocane thread starter macrumors newbie

That's very telling and troubling. I've installed both updates on both of my Macs. Shades of Microsoft, releasing software before it's ready to release!

6. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

Yeah I have experienced the crashing when I have a bunch of tabs open. Firefox never really had a problem handling multiple tabs for me.

There is an extension that safari has now that saves your tabs upon exit/crash.
    that's the best fix I can think of.

SafariRestore

7. tlocane thread starter macrumors newbie

Now that I think of it, I think most of my crashes occur on my MacBook Pro when I have many tabs open. It doesn't seem to happen as often on my MacPro. Perhaps that's the difference with Leopard vs Snow Leopard.

8. drossad macrumors regular

I don't believe it's a snow leopard vs. leopard issue. I am running leopard and the same thing is happening to me. Lots of tabs = safari crashes, as well as random crashes.
    It's pretty bad (if it's true) that the apple stores aren't even installing the last updates due to this issue. Ridiculous!
    Fix the issue Apple! This is unacceptable!