Safari 5.0.3 issue with Flash

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pizzawench, Nov 21, 2010.

1. pizzawench macrumors newbie

So after a software update, and receiving 5.0.3, my flash video player has ceased to function. If I go to youtube it tells me I need the new version of Adobe Flash Player. I installed the new version and it said the installation was successful, but still no youtube videos. I have tried some other websites utilizing flash video and none of them work either.

I visited one that gives the option of using Quicktime, and that doesn't work despite having Quicktime X installed.

How can I get my ability to play flash videos back?!?!

Thanks in advance,

Peter

2. robert05au macrumors regular

robert05au

Firstly try repairing the permissions as flash player screws up quite a few and does cause problems.

I do this with every flash player update and haven't seen any issues thus far.

I am running FF 3.6.12 and Safari 5.0.3 without issues.

3. eboyer7 macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem, although it also happened in 5.0.2. A few days ago Flash just suddenly stopped working. I didn't have any software updates or change any preferences or anything... it just decided to stop working. Then I upgraded to 5.0.3 and still no flash. Installing the latest version of flash didn't help either. What did help temporarily fix it was to trash the Safari plist file, but that only worked for a few hours. Fixing permissions didn't do anything either.

4. hsotnicam8002 macrumors 6502

hsotnicam8002

I still have Flash crashes regularly with Safari 5.0.3. Thankfully SJ has kept that bundle of trash away from my iphone and ipad!

5. eboyer7 macrumors newbie

So, no-one has found a fix for this yet? It's pretty annoying having to switch over to Firefox every time something needs Flash.

6. Danindub macrumors member

7. pizzawench thread starter macrumors newbie

The permissions fix didn't solve the problem. Can anyone back up that uninstaller link? I am used to everything for Adobe Flash coming from Adobe or an Adobe site.

8. Danindub macrumors member

I should feel offended...

it comes as you can see from Macromedia servers. Macromedia are original developer of Flash and other tools purchased by Adobe some years ago...

HOWEVER

If that will make you feel any better:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/865/cpsid_86551.html#prob1=fnctn,

And click "I want to uninstall Flash Player" ...

9. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

And what's so annoying about using the better browser? But if you really don't want to use Firefox, then you could still install Google Chrome - it has Flash built in and also is a better option than Safari.

10. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Is that a Pavlov reflex? Somebody pushed the Adobe Flash button and you have to worship His Steveness and thank him for taking away your freedom of choice?

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

No, it's not better.

Safari with ad blocker consumes less resources than Chrome on OSX.

12. eboyer7 macrumors newbie

Safari is more refined and faster. Also, I have 2 years worth of browsing history stored in Safari, which I find quite useful when figuring out whether or not I've visited a page in the past.

Also, Flash mysteriously started working again a few days ago. I can't think of anything I would have done to make it happen. I've restarted Safari a few times over the past few days, but I haven't restarted my computer or installed anything. Weird...

13. 1365281 Suspended

I have exactly the same issue with Safari and flash after the latest software update (or coincidentally) that started few days ago. Tried to install/uninstall flash a few times but no progress...
    Has anyone found a solution, pls, to this matter of increasing frequency it seems?

14. eboyer7 macrumors newbie

I still haven't found a solution, but I find that Flash seems to come and go. One minute it's working, the next it isn't, then later it works again. Sometimes this happens even without quitting Safari.

Flash seems to work fine in other programs like Firefox most of the time, but I think it even stopped working in Firefox for a few days at one point.

So I'm pretty much convinced there's a ghost in my computer. Until it gets fixed I'm just sticking with trusty Firefox on my trusty XP machine whenever I need reliable web browsing :p

15. 1365281 Suspended

Hello,

Happy New Year!

Has anyone found a solution to safari's issue with flash yet, please?

16. 1365281 Suspended

I fixed the flash issue for Safari I think

For launching of NetBeans one needs Java SE 6. Once I set my computer to Java SE 6 as a preferred version the story of "missing plug-ins" in Safari followed. Once I restored Java Preferences settings including J2 SE 5.0 then Safari started working fine. Has any of you observed a "similar phenomenon" ? :)

17. eboyer7 macrumors newbie

I haven't changed the Java preferences. How do you do that?

18. mps1846 macrumors newbie

Strange. The only way I could run YouTube videos in my (white) MacBook with OS X 10.6.4, Safari 5.0.3, and Flash 10.2 is to set Safari in 32-bit mode. I say strange since, in my iMac with same set of software, 64-bit Safari plays YouTube videos.