Safari 5.0.3 memory leak?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by greythorne, Nov 20, 2010.

1. greythorne macrumors regular

just look at Safari!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

with just 2 tabs opened and consumed over 2gig??

2. daneoni, Nov 20, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2010

daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

That's weird, perhaps you went to some dodgy site. Here's mine which seems more normal.

Attached Files:

3. Reelknead1 macrumors 6502

OP what computer are you on that you are seeing these huge memory leaks.

It seems as though the Mid 2010 i5 & i7 like to do this.

My core2 machines have no issue, with the same tabs and sites.

4. greythorne thread starter macrumors regular

ok its mid-2010 13inch 2.4ghz macbook pro with 4gig ram and 320gig WD 7200rpm hd.

5. greythorne thread starter macrumors regular

nope its not some dodgy website. chat and the logout is from my msn live email

6. daneoni, Nov 20, 2010

daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Well i dunno whats the problem is. Is flash up to date? are you using Top Sites heavily? do you have an adblocker installed?

Mine again 4/5 tabs later (i haven't quit Safari since i replied to your message) and one of those tabs was a live updating page.

Still relatively normal.

Attached Files:

7. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    Just cehcked mine, over 800megs with only 8 tabs open and flash turned off. :eek:

Safari seems to love memory. :D

8. greythorne thread starter macrumors regular

wow with 8tabs and its 800meg?

i think the issue im facing might be a one off thing.... i think i will just run firefox fulltime!!

oh yeah flash is the latest beat with hardware acceleration

9. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

my experiences are similar to yours. Sometime's i'll have maybe 6-10 tabs max open, and safari will use around a gig of ram. It's less noticable since I got 8 gigs but still...and firefox is generally unstable for me.

The sad thing about it is that Safari for Windows is a really clean minimalist browser that renders crazy quick. Why can they do it better on Windows than on OS X lol.

10. uMBPi728, Nov 20, 2010

uMBPi728 macrumors member

Memory leak?

Just for kicks, I wanted to check to see if this is a valid claim regarding memory leaks, especially the claim with i7s. I have an Mid2010 i7.

I have 15 tabs open in a safari window, flash is off (via ClickToFlash): 1 OWC (SSD page), Nikon Rumors page, 2 MacRumors pages, Apple Store page, Yahoo main page, 5 Art Wolfe pages (lots of images), Flicker account, Yahoo mail, Gmail mail, and Fry's main page. My memory count steadily grew to about 480MBs. And on top of the that, two separate windows of Safari, each with MacRumors: Reply to Topic page and the page of this topic (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=11456180#post11456180). Memory grew to <550MBs.

Then I closed 15 tabs window and the MacRumors topic page window...memory slowly decreasing, hovering about 456-451MBs.

This makes senses because Safari will keep the pages in cache so if the next time you again visit the site(s) (you closed), it will render quickly.

Realize too, that graphically intensive sites with MBs of resources will need memory allocated and will only release memory from cache when the need arises. When and how often? Don't know. Unless the safari programmers overlooked memory cleanup in the latest version, which I highly doubt, the fact your safari memory usage is high is normal. It's also possible that a site may have been poorly coded for resource clean up, in which case, memory leaks can occur. I suspect that's what happened with the OP and safari isn't at fault nor is the i7s.

Anyway, I'm not getting the GB's of usage some are getting. And my i7 with safari 5.0.3 is working normally...seemingly of course. :)

Oh, btw, I did, after posting this reply, close all safari windows and quit safari via the dock (right click, quit) and safari released all memory. Well, that's one way to remove the caching from memory.

11. Animalk macrumors 6502

A memory leak is not indicated by a program taking up lots of memory. It is rather indicated by a program which increases its memory usage at every occurrence of a certain action and does not release memory used for that action when it is done.

Also there are many things happening in the background that you as a user are oblivious to which may take up resources. Simply thinking of it as loading a page and deloading page would be very wrong.

From my experience with the latest Safari version, there is no memory leak.

12. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

+1. Memory leak would be if you quit Safari and the memory allocated for Safari does not get freed up for other tasks.

13. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

Even if it did memory leak am I the only one who doesn't give a dam?

In the age of >4Gb does it really matter?

[And for the record, I do multi-task, I do regularly fill my memory up but even then I don't care!]

14. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

it snot about how many tabs you have open, but how many you have had open.
    i've had safari use 3.4GB before, thats after running it for weeks on end.