Safari 5.0.5 Plugin missing? Flash?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Costumed, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Costumed macrumors newbie

Hi,

I recently did a software update and everything went without a hitch. BUT... Since this software update, my Youtube isn't working properly. It keeps telling me to install Adobe Flash Player over and over again, even though I did this a gazzilion times.

I uninstalled AFP, downloaded it, installed it, closed Safari completely and reopened it, but still nothing.

I have a MBP 5.5 and I'm running 10.6.7 with Safari 5.0.5. If I open Finder>User>Library>Internet Plug-Ins, there's nothing in there.

Also, if I'm opening my Java-preferences, it keeps telling me that it 'cannot be launched. There is no compatible version available of Java 1.5+'.

How can I solve this?

By the way, I have a partition with 10.7 II (Safari 5.1) and everything works like a charm there. So I think this is related to Safari 5.0.5.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

First of all, you're looking in the wrong folder for the Flash plugin. It's at Finder>Library>Internet Plug-Ins, if it is installed properly. Secondly, something is very wrong if your Java Preferences application isn't working. Have you installed the newest Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update yet?

3. Costumed thread starter macrumors newbie

I found the Flash Plugin in the folder you stated.
    I think I installed the newest Java for Mac update. Available through software update, right?

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Yes, the Java update is indeed in Software Update if you haven't installed it yet.

5. Costumed thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I've completed all updates, restarted my Mac (for the 4th time now), but still nothing.

Any ideas?

6. dirt farmer macrumors 6502

Which Flash version did you install? The beta (starts with 10.3), or the latest stable, 10.2r159?

7. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Random thought just occurred to me. Have you checked Safari preferences and made sure "Enable plug-ins" is checked? And the option for Java as well?

8. Costumed thread starter macrumors newbie

I just installed the version available through the normal site of Adobe. I think that's the stable one. Where can I check this?

Plug-ins are enabled. Safari preferences haven't been touched after the update of Safari 5.0.5. What should I look for?

9. JediMeister macrumors 68040

I think you can check the installed version under Help->Installed plug-ins or by going to adobe.com/software/flash/about. As far as where I was going with my suggestion, even though had not gone in and changed the preferences, sometimes the update could have changed it for one reason or another. As a follow-up how did you go about removing Adobe Flash Player? I seem to recall some kind of removal/uninstaller tool being involved, you cannot manually remove it to my understanding.

10. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Try resetting Safari. A friend of mine mentioned this exact same thing and before I checked Youtube I reset his Safari and then checked it and everything worked fine.

To reset Safari go to Safari -> Reset Safari, check all boxes and hit Apply or OK or whatever the button at the bottom says.

11. Costumed thread starter macrumors newbie

This is the 10.2.159.1 version. This is the newest (unless you count the beta with it, which I already tried by the way).
    Uninstalling Flash is done by an app, downloaded from the Adobe site as well. This is just soooo... frustrating.

Thanks for the tip, I've already tried that one. Didn't work.

12. Costumed thread starter macrumors newbie

I inserted my SL Install DVD and did a 'Repair Permissions' and 'Repair Disk', but still nothing. A clean install would sort this out, I guess.