Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Schmange

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
So much for upgrading. It worked fine for a couple of hours, now it won't even load anymore. Can't delete the application from my hard drive because it says I don't have permission. Fixed the permissions but it still won't delete.
Tried downloading it and re-installing and it still doesn't work.
So I'm outa ideas.

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
What version of Mac OS are you running? Please be more specific about what you mean when you say "it won't even load anymore." Are you able to view any sites, does it say loading on the right side of the address bar, maybe the multicolored ball instead of your cursor? Have you tried to perhaps reset Safari from the application menu?

brucekirkland

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2010
Safari 5.0 upgrade doesn't open

i have a powerbook G4, 17 inch mac with OS 10.5.8.
did automatic upgrade to Safari 5.0 2 days ago. safari loads partially and then fails. i've repaired permissions twice to no avail. i get a small grey safari bookmarks bar at the bottom of the screen but any attempt to use it results in beachball and safari then quits.
any ideas?

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Do you know if you have any plugins that may be contributing to this issue? Sometimes the plugin developer may not have released an update for compatibility with Safari 5. Do you use Glims, Growl, etc? See if this support article is of any help.

bryanrd

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2010
Do you know if you have any plugins that may be contributing to this issue? Sometimes the plugin developer may not have released an update for compatibility with Safari 5. Do you use Glims, Growl, etc? See if this support article is of any help.

I have the same problem. I thought it might have been connected with a third party toolbar I had installed, but I have no idea how to remove it especially since I can't even get Safari to launch. I can't remember what the toolbar was and I don't know how to delete it. If you have any idea where plugins are stored, I can go and try to manually remove them one at a time.

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
I have the same problem. I thought it might have been connected with a third party toolbar I had installed, but I have no idea how to remove it especially since I can't even get Safari to launch. I can't remember what the toolbar was and I don't know how to delete it. If you have any idea where plugins are stored, I can go and try to manually remove them one at a time.

Try these locations:

Macintosh HD -> Library -> ScriptingAdditions

Macintosh HD -> Users -> yourusername -> Library -> ScriptingAdditions

Macintosh HD -> Library -> InputManagers

See if there is anything in there that relates to the third party toolbar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.