Safari 5.0 Unexpected Quits/Crashes CONSTATLY

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by WardC, Jul 4, 2010.

1. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

I am having this problem, out of nowhere Safari 5.0 just quits on me and says "Safari Unexpectedly Quit" I have tried everything, deleting my prefs, no avail. I did not have this problem at all with Safari 4.0 or earlier versions. When I updated to 10.6.4 it automatically updated to Safari 5.0 even after I had reinstalled the older 4.0 from the Snow Leopard DVD. Anybody else having trouble with Safari 5.0 crashing? I mean it does this more than 10x per day! It's horrible!! I've started sending bug reports to Apple everytime it does this now, hopefully they can get this worked out in a 5.0.1 update.

Also I have duplicated the same problem on two machines. Happens on my MacBook Pro 2.4GHz 4GB RAM at home, and happens to a 2.26GHz Mac Mini at my workplace as well. Both 10.6.4 and Safari 5.0. Just quits unexpectedly constantly. When I restart the app, it WILL NOT access any website. I have to quit it again and restart the app again, to regain internet access. This is really annoying. Like I said, after the crash and the app reboots I don't have internet access on Safari. I have to manually quit and start again, and then it's OK.

2. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

Try the following:

Export your bookmarks from the File menu.

Reset Safari from the File menu.

Find the Safari folder in ~/Library/ - move this to the trash or the desktop. This folder also contains a Bookmarks.plist file.

Locate com.apple.Safari.plist in ~/Library/Preferences/ - delete this.

All this will leave you with a clean Safari profile. You will be prompted with the Welcome to Safari animation.

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

4. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

Safe to assume that I can replace the bookmark file and all my bookmarks will be their?

5. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

I've replaced the Bookmarks.plist before and it has always worked. But best to just export the bookmarks from the File menu.

6. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

I have never reset my safari profile in 2 years! LOL! So I decided to do so. No probs. I don't think this will solve the " can't find server" issue so many are having.

7. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Cheers, was having one website crashing Safari, followed the link and it solved my problem.

8. WardC thread starter macrumors 68030

WardC

Yes, I just followed the advice above. Export your bookmarks to your desktop before you delete everything from ~/Library. Then once you reboot Safari "Import Bookmarks" from the Safari menu and choose the file on your desktop. So far, no crashes. I will have to test this for a couple days to find out if it's working for me.

Thanks again for your help!!

Resetting Safari Profile...

-----------------
    In this procedure I don't actually delete the Safari folder in the Library, right?
    I just put somewhere else temporarily.

The only file that gets deleted is the Safari.plist. Am I right?

Thanks