Safari 5.1.1 vs. Chrome 14.0.835

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by damian, Oct 12, 2011.

?

Which browser do you prefer?

1. Safari 5.1.5

7 vote(s)
    43.8%
  2. Chrome 14.0.835

7 vote(s)
    43.8%
  3. Firefox 7.0.1

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. damian macrumors member

With the latest release of Safari, I'm trying to decide whether to switch back to it from Chrome.

My main concerns are speed, CPU, and memory. Does anyone have any benchmarks for the latest browsers or know where to find them?

I prefer Chrome because it feels faster than Safari (and much faster than Firefox), but perhaps this has changed with the latest release? I'd like to see some hard numbers, if possible.

Also, Safari has lots of great features, but these features keep me using Chrome:

1. Omnibar
    2. Speed Dial extension
    3. Tell me if I'm missing anything important here

That said, I'd really like to use the following features on Safari, so if someone can convince me that its benchmarks are comparable, and perhaps there's a substitute for Omnibar and Speed Dial, then I'll probably make the switch:

1. Disappearing scrollbar
    2. Properly functioning full-screen mode
    3. Bookmark syncing via iCloud
    4. Gestures (zoom, forward/back, pan, etc.)
    5. Reading list
    6. Tell me if I'm missing anything important here

2. Lankyman macrumors 68000

I will never be able to use Safari until Apple come up with a more conventional method of handling bookmarks. Why the heck one needs a full page tab used exclusively for bookmarks is beyond me. What is wrong with a bookmark sidebar as used by all the main competition? With sidebar in each tab one can look for a bookmark whilst still in the present tab.