Safari 5.1 Address Bar Bug?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by ominx, Jun 11, 2011.

1. ominx, Jun 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011

ominx macrumors 6502

Apologies if this has been addressed, but I couldn't seem to find any info. The address bar in Safari Version 5.1 (7534.42) in 10.7 seems to be shaded in gray. I have looked at screenshots and know this is not the correct behavior. Has anyone experienced this or know how to correct it.

I've included a screenshot. Thanks for any help.
    [​IMG]

2. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Mine does not show that. Even when my appearance is set to Graphite. The address bar is highlighted blue when I hit command-l.

3. ominx thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, yea it's not a highlight problem... it highlights properly in blue. It is always visible, highlight or not.

4. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Even stranger. File a bug report. Any other browsers do the same thing?

5. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

6. MikhailT macrumors 601

Try going into the full screen mode and then exit out of it. Another thing to try is to show the bookmarks bar and then hide it again.

7. db1408 macrumors member

On every Preview version mine has been grey, I thought that was the norm for the new Safari.

Mine also goes blank grey and merges with the background sometimes in fullscreen mode. Bugs but not huge ones.

8. ominx thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies. I tried the suggestions and the problem remains. Is it possible there are left-over preference extensions or similar causing the problem? A while back I had pimpmysafari installed (before official safari extensions). Are there any folders I can check for these files?

9. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

I'm not sure how that program works. Check Library/Internet Plug-Ins ,
    or ~/Library/Preferences/ for any references to pimpmysafari
    or ~/Library/Application Support for references. Remove if you find any.

10. db1408 macrumors member

Actually, at some point I removed, through terminal the old Safari 'spinning load' on the Safari address bar at some point and opted for the blue bar load as on the old editions at some point. Maybe this has something to do with our difference.

I can't remember the command I used to reverse the option to try it, a year or so has passed since.

11. ominx thread starter macrumors 6502

That sounds vaguely familiar to something I would have done too. If you find out anything please post back.

Thanks, unfortunately I didn't find anything. Hopefully it will correct itself with the final version.

12. db1408 macrumors member

13. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

What can't you revert?
    Following the directions didn't work?

Undoing changes

Just run the defaults command with the delete flag for the appropriate key you wish to delete.

$ defaults delete com.apple.Safari <key>
    NB: Don't include the -bool NO at the end, it just requires the key (eg: "DebugSafari4IncludeGoogleSuggest")

14. ominx thread starter macrumors 6502

Running the command results in the message:
    There is no (DebugSafari4LoadProgressStyle) default for the (com.apple.Safari) domain.
    Defaults have not been changed.

These keys were probably for version 4 and no longer exist.

15. db1408 macrumors member

$ defaults delete com.apple.Safari <DebugSafari4LoadProgressStyle>

results in . . other alternates give 'command not found'.

I'm tired, I may not be making 2+2 work.

Attached Files:

16. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

I maybe tired as well, I just read the blog post more and I'm not seeing the strings in Safari 5, are these just for Safari4?

17. MikhailT macrumors 601

They are for Safari 4.

What you can do is reset Safari’s preferences by moving out the plist file for it.

Open Finder, go to ~/Library/Preferences/ and move com.apple.Safari.* files out of that folder.

That’ll reset any changes that you have made to Safari.

18. db1408 macrumors member

Guess this will be redundant until someone falls upon a fix or the final release solves the issue.

PS Format with TimeMachine backup keeps the issue. I don't feel like staring from scratch and hand transferring my files.

19. db1408 macrumors member

Thanks for the tip but it makes no difference.

The address bar btw is grey but the blue transparent loading still happens over the grey colour.

20. ominx thread starter macrumors 6502

This bug remains for me in the final build.

Has anyone else experience this bug or know of a fix?

21. rpscowboy macrumors newbie

Got the Same issue

I have got this exact same gray bar glitch. Two macs with fresh update of Lion. The iMac Safari is fine, but the 15" MBP Safari has the gray effect. I have tried everything I can think of from .plist removal, inputs, extensions, etc...

When i log into the guest user account, Safari is fine.

22. Eminemdrdre00 macrumors 6502a

Eminemdrdre00

Can someone please upload Safari for Lion? I deleted it with App Cleaner thinking I could download a new copy from Apple.com, but they only offer Safari for Snow Leopard. There's a stupid bug that followed me from Snow Leopard to Lion, and I thought deleting Safari and reinstalling it might fix it.

23. rpscowboy macrumors newbie

What The . . .

I have the identical issue. What the heck is causing this?

24. ominx, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2011

ominx thread starter macrumors 6502

Solved!

I have solved the URL bar bug.

Here's what I did. I decided to download Safari 5.1 for Snow Leopard and take a look at some of the files using Pacifist and compared them to my system files to see if there was a possibility I had some rogue orphans lying about.

Nothing really stood out so I began to systematically manually "install" the Snow Leopard version of Safari. Well, finally I found the directory of files that was causing the bug. I am not sure exactly what file(s) but I do know that Safari.framework which is located in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks was causing the problem. So, I extracted Safari.framework from the Snow Leopard install package and copied it over to /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks.

If you want to save yourself some time, I've included a link to a zip file containing just the folder Safari.framework taken directly from the Snow Leopard Safari install package.

EDIT: THIS WILL REMOVE ANY SPECIFIC LION FEATURES FROM SAFARI. ALSO, THIS SHOULD GO WITHOUT SAYING, BUT PLEASE BACK UP ANY FILES YOU PLAN TO REPLACE FIRST!

http://www.mediafire.com/?fpie39iu5su9m3m

1.) Quit Safari
    2.) Unzip Safari.framework.zip
    3.) Copy the entire folder Safari.framework to Mac/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks. You will need to authenticate and overwrite all files (don't keep "newer versions" as that won't fix the problem).
    4.) Relaunch and done.

Hope this helps.

25. rpscowboy macrumors newbie

AAAAWWWWWEEEESSSSOOOMMMMMEEEE!!!!

That was it! That worked. Thank you!!!

It would be nice to find out why this was a problem on my MBP, but not the iMac.