Safari 5.1 issues in Lion 10.7.1

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by swagmeout, Sep 8, 2011.

1. swagmeout, Sep 8, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2011

swagmeout macrumors newbie

swagmeout

First off, I'd like to declare my MacRumors virginity taken! What a feeling.

So I imagine quite a few people are using Lion on their Macs and are loving the new features and capabilities Apple has included in the OS, which make the system a lot more appealing and user friendly.

I have one particular gripe about the gestures, however (In Safari and Finder more specifically). I'm sure people have noticed the new "wipe" feature when going forwards or backwards while browsing, and while I must say it looks great, it has completely slowed down my browsing experience.

On a lot of pages (Facebook and my university's online web resource site in particular), whenever I use the gesture to go back, the page swipes away and what appears to be happening is that the previous page is loading. Cool! However most often than not, it loads the page I was just on and doesn't go back. I often have to gesture twice concurrently to browse back to the page I want to go to, and sometimes it even loads a blank page and I have to reload the whole thing. This is incredibly irritating (especially when filling out forms, I find myself having to re-send things multiple times) and I was wondering if anybody else is experiencing this and if there's anything that can be done about it.

Not to mention, the gesture to go back and forth in Finder has been completely wiped out, leaving me to manually click the arrows in the corner of the window whenever I want to quickly navigate through folder sets.

I used to be a Firefox purist but I found countless bugs in its GUI and basic operation so I'm not looking to switch browsers. As for Finder, I'm sure theres a way to enable the gesture navigation again but I just can't seem to find it anywhere.

Any help?

2. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

I have seen many of these issues and have not found a solution as of yet.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

It has been four whole days and Apple has not responded to a complaint posted on a Mac fansite. How can it possibly stay on top with this kind of negligence?

4. Hyper-X macrumors 6502a

First of all I'm the anti-Lion guy so expect negativity from me in most of my Lion-related posts. Just a warning.

First I'm happy to hear that your Mac experience is good for you save for a few issues however I have no idea why you would want to use Safari. It suffers from a huge memory leak, it's a slow browser, it's one of the worst mainstream browsers to support HTML5 and it's quite unstable on many standard coded web pages. Chrome is a much better browser except it currently doesn't support the Lion fullscreen feature so you have to do it the "old fashioned way" if you know what I mean.

I'll say this, Safari is the weak point in OS X currently, it is the only app IMHO that's absolute garbage and don't expect Apple to fix it anytime soon considering they're too involved in their mobile market (iPhone, iPad) and iCloud. You'll be better off simply switching to a different browser until Apple realizes that Lion (along with Safari) really needs a major overhaul.

Next if you find the gestures to be odd, confusing or inconsistent, look for a free app online called Bettertouchtool. It allows you to redefine gesturing so it's consistent throughout all apps or you can set it so the gestures you choose are unique to each app.

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Unfortunately for you (and everyone else reading this thread), these issues appear to be caused by bugs in Safari. I've run into some irritating glitches in Safari 5.1 myself, unrelated to your problems - at least, they're not invoked the same way.

6. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

Indeed Apple seems to be brings falty products to market these days, but this will end as soon as the economy collapses.

7. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

There is something weird with Safari 5.1 on Lion
    it seems like it reloads pages on unused tabs,
    I click the tab and there is nothing then it takes some seconds to bring back the site, kind of like Safari on the iPad

Am I the only one suffering from this?
    Does it hurt my computer to keep safari open even if I dont use it?

8. dance2noise002 macrumors member

It doesn't hurt to keep it open but, I'm just wondering what's taking Apple so long with a Safari update. It's been what almost 2 months now? This 5.1 is really buggy, Safari needs to become more light weight like Chrome.

I really like Safari, but it always seems like it's bogged down and starts chugging along, instead of rendering pages smoothly.