Safari 5.1 (Lion) + Youtube HTML5 playback problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by diamond3, Aug 3, 2011.

1. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

I recently upgraded to Lion with the latest safari and since then my youtube video playback has been painful.

I'm using the HTML5 playback in youtube, but now when I start any video I get a beach ball for a while, the video will start to play audio but jump around. It takes a good 15 seconds for the computer to catchup and start to play it normal as my fans start to go. I'm using a new 2011 13" MBP i5. I've disabled all of my youtube extensions and its still a no go.

Also, when I start playing the video and watch the activity monitor I see
    10533 QTKitServer-(10511) Safari Web Content 101.8% CPU usage

Is anyone else experiencing that high of cpu usage for HTML5 playback? I've checked software update and everything is up-to-date.

2. shk718 macrumors 65816

lion freezes when i try to watch a youtube video

3. thewalkman macrumors member

Download ClickToFlash from the Extension Gallery. Set it up to use Safari's built in HTML5 player.

4. jmbill macrumors member

Yes, even if you don't have Flash installed on your Mac, download both the YouTube5 Extension by Connor McKay and download the ClickToFlash extension by Marc Hoyois. Once both are extensions are installed, it seems to correct the issue and HTML5 video's will happily play without issue. Also make sure you have the latest version of Perian downloaded and installed on your computer.

As others have reported, when I first updated to Lion on my iMac and took delivery of a new MacBook Air last week, it was impossible to playback YouTube videos on either machines. Just kept getting a spinning bezel and nothing played. Installing both extensions and the Perian update fixed the problems for me.

5. fat.ivan macrumors newbie

hi
    I don't have Flash installed just use ClickToFlash extension download from apple.com use Safari's built in HTML5 player playback 1080 YouTube Without any problems CPU usage 1x~3x

6. Cripps macrumors regular

7. thewalkman macrumors member