Safari 5.1 on Lion Refreshing Pages while Gesturing Forward and Back

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mike Reed, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Mike Reed macrumors regular

I'm running Safari 5.1 on Lion and was wondering if there was a setting somewhere to disable page refreshes when using the gesture driven forward and backward navigation.

I like how the new animation shows you the pages you are flipping through as it makes it seem more responsive and immediate. I'm running into the problem, though, that this illusion is encouraging me to try and scroll as soon the page looks loaded when really it's in the middle of a refresh and about to jump me to the top.

2. NXTMIKE macrumors 6502

+1, I'm having the same dilemma. Anyone know a workaround?? (especially when it comes to clicking on links that aren't active yet, but instead a rendered image of the page)

3. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

Yeah, it's annoying me as well. Hopefully this gets fixed in an update - not sure if it's purposeful or not.

4. NXTMIKE macrumors 6502

Well the thing is, it looks like when you swipe back, it loads a rendered jpg of the page, and then refreshes after to make the page interactive with links and scrolling and what not. So it will still need to be refreshed, but Apple should revise it so that it starts to refresh as soon as you swipe back/forward, instead of waiting for the entire jpg of the page to be shown, and then reload.

5. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

getting this and its very annoying

it doesnt seem to refresh the page, just load a stored copy of it (ie, when you go backwards the topic just looked at is not marked as read)

6. pooryou macrumors 65816

Safari 5.1 also constantly refreshes pages in the latest version of Snow Leopard....for no apparent reason at all. It's extremely annoying.

7. nsteblay macrumors newbie

I am having the same problem. An example of where this is a problem is in the navigation of forums. When going back a page the forum list updates and changes because of new entries. It's very difficult to keep track of where you are in reading a forum.

8. cole01 macrumors 6502

I'm getting annoyed by this as well! Hopefully it's fixed in a future update of sorts

9. andyroochoo macrumors member

if its by design, what could be the purpose!!!

any guesses?

10. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

I have found a solution but it's not ideal

set the track pad option to

swipe between pages with 3 fingers as it was in Snow Leopard instead of Scroll with 2 Fingers

11. Mike Reed thread starter macrumors regular

I've noticed the App Store beach balling when opening and switching between sections where it'll show part of the page at first before eventually loading the real page it's trying to display. As those interfaces are likely using the same technology as ITunes (embedded web pages as content) I wonder if they're both related to a change somewhere in the WebKit portion of UIKit.

12. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

Have you installed the extra Java for Lion ?

I did this when I was prompted to, I have found if I disable Javascript this issue goes away

For me it looks like its the version of Java installed which is causing problems

just a pain having to reenable it if a site needs it

13. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Private browsing is also broken under the latest update.