Safari 5.1 removing background tabs from memory like iOS?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hamis92, Jul 24, 2011.

1. hamis92 macrumors 6502

I searched to find discussion on this matter but did not find anything.

I'm running Mac OS X 10.6.8 on my MacBookPro4,1. I also have Mac OS X 10.7 on another partition. Might I add that my Mac has 4 GB of memory with plenty of it free when the following happened.

Yesterday I upgraded from Safari 5.0.5 to Safari 5.1. Today I began to notice strange behavior with multiple tabs, three in this case, when I spent a while on one tab (like 20 minutes) without touching the others. It looked as if Safari had removed the other two tabs from memory: when I switched to those tabs, they were initially white until they reloaded the pages they were supposed to have on them.

This is the same behavior that can be seen on iOS and it's extremely irritating - it made me downgrade to Safari 5.0.5 pretty much instantly.

I guess this is somehow related to the new process architecture in Safari 5.1.

Have any of you experienced the same on Snow Leopard and Safari 5.1? Does it happen on Lion (I have yet to test it thoroughly)?

2. LethalUK macrumors member

Yes. I get the same in Lion, it's very annoying. I don't need to save memory on my MBP.

3. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

4. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

With the future being flash storage....they want to save from having to do disk swaps as much as possible. I was hoping they would take out disk swapping altogether and let auto save and resume do their thing.

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Safari 5.1 is doing the same thing to me on Snow Leopard. I don't have to reload the tabs though. After a second or two it shows up.

6. hamis92 thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't have to reload either, I was implying it does it automatically (I do admit the wording could've been better).

Glad to hear I'm not going crazy but sad to hear it's a feature in Safari. Let's send feedback on this, shall we?

7. LethalUK macrumors member

Sounds like a plan.

Anybody else also get all hidden windows opening up after waking from sleep?

8. ErneX macrumors newbie

This is happening to me and it's specially bad when you have chats on GMail and you go back to the tab to read them and Safari decides to reload ALL the page for you.

I want to disable this, we don't need this "feature" on a desktop at all. I want all my pages loaded ALWAYS.

9. tongteh macrumors 6502

same problem. Safari seriously needs an update as soon as possible

10. GoaTrancer macrumors newbie

Yeah this is horribly annoying. I have more than enough memory to accommodate all my tabs. I dunno about Chrome on Mac, but I've never experienced this with Chrome on Linux, which I use daily. I hope Apple fixes this. Is this a bug or a poorly thought out "feature" to save memory?

11. jamsyoung macrumors newbie

I use chrome daily on lion and do not see this happening.

I turned off the "Resume" feature. No idea of they are linked or not.

12. ukyo51, Aug 10, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2011

ukyo51 macrumors newbie

THIS. I just ran into this with some (bad) sites where searches fail on reload because your session from yesterday is gone, google reader losing half-read stories I was in the middle of, and of course gmail/gtalk as mentioned elsewhere. I'll put up with this on a mobile device for the battery life but it's unthinkable to force this on desktop+laptop users plugged into the wall.

If anyone finds a fix please share. Firefox has a major home/end key bug on Mac, and I really don't want to get stuck using Chrome. :(