Safari 5.1 Tab Behaviour

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jas0n, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Jas0n macrumors newbie

Is there any way in Safari 5.1 to make tabs behave the same as in Safari 5.0, being that when you CMD + Click on a link to open a new tab it opens at the end of a tab list instead of next to the tab you clicked the link from? It really frustrates me how I'm getting tabs open in random locations in my tab list.

2. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

I didn't see any option to change the new tab behaviour before going back to 5.0.5. Maybe I missed something seeing as there don't seem to be (m)any complaints?

3. chabig macrumors 68040

Jas0n is right. The tab behavior is different exactly as he described. I don't see a setting to alter it.

4. Keleko macrumors 68000

This is the same tab functionality that Chrome has. Since they're both based on WebKit I'm not surprised Safari started having this behavior.

5. Jas0n thread starter macrumors newbie

That's a shame, it's one of things I preferred about Safari to other browsers. Oh well, maybe they'll implement an option someday.

6. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

It's strange there's no option to revert to the old behavior. Oh well, I'm back on 5.0.5 and perfectly happy.

7. Jas0n thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea, actually thinking of reverting myself.

8. Oz. macrumors regular

Oz.

Tabs behavior it's a lot much better on Firefox 8 nightly and Chrome.

9. Maxikubik, Jul 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2011

Maxikubik macrumors newbie

You can use the Safari extension LinkThing or the Glims-plugin witch adds A LOT of nice options (note that you currently need the development build with Safari 5.1).

10. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

Yeah thanks, I'm an avid user of Google myself. I also use Glims but I'll wait for the next stable release before I try Safari 5.1 again.

11. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

You should also fill out the Lion Feedback form to make them aware of the annoyance issue and hope they put it back the way it was in a future update.

12. humblecoder macrumors newbie

Webkit is just the rendering engine, it has nothing to do with browser behavior. It def needs to be adjustable. This was one of my huge problems with FF when they started doing it, but they provide a mechanism by which to disable it.

13. allentown macrumors newbie

I seem to have been able to alter the behavior. Trouble is, I can't figure out which of the defaults I changed to make it happen, and I am not willing to mess with it as I need to get back to work and have tabs open at the end of the tabbing group.

Here are my current settings:
    http://pastie.org/2272549

If you open a terminal and enter in:
    Code:
    defaults read com.apple.safari | grep -i tab
    That will give you a text output of all the defaults plist settings that have the non case sensitive word "tab" in it.

I made alterations to 'TabCreationPolicy' and 'OpenNewTabsInFront' and 'NewTabBehavior', and believe it was setting 'TabCreationPolicy' to 2 that did it for me. I think that 'OpenNewTabsInFront' is just the select menu in Safari's normal preferences.

Make sure you make these changes when Safari is quit, or when you quit Safari will write the settings back to what they were when you launched Safari for that session.

I entered in:
    Code:
    defaults write com.apple.safari verb int
    to:
    Code:
    defaults write com.apple.safari TabCreationPolicy 2

14. aaal1, Jul 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2011

aaal1 macrumors newbie

I tried with Safari 5.1 and Snow Leopard 10.6.8. It didn't work.

In com.apple.safari, the TabCreationPolicy refers to Preferences>Tabs>Open web pages in tabs where the option 0 is never, 1 is automatically and 2 is always. (Not sure with the translation, though.)

The NewTabBehavior, I tested, refers to the behavior when you hit Cmd+T or File>New Tab, and not the "targeted clicks" (or "open link in new tab"). Eg. 1 is empty page, 4 Top Sites. Note that the TargetedClicksCreateTabs is a boolean, not a number that would allow us to come back to the past behavior.

I tried the options containing tab that were different (comparing your plist to mine) : NewTabBehavior, OpenNewTabsInFront and TabCreationPolicy and I have not been able to revert to the original tab behavior. Did you change something else?
    Thank you.