Safari 5.1 unloading tabs from memory

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by ErneX, Jul 26, 2011.

1. ErneX macrumors newbie

This is a feature I truly don't need:

I was browsing with about a dozen tabs among them GMail in which I had some chats going on, I'm also running a virtual machine, Photoshop, Illustrator, and my rest of working software. I notice that my GMail tab is indicating I have new replies to my conversations and proceed to the tab… and then Safari decides that it needs to reload the page completely and with that missing all those chats I couldn't see.

I understand this behavior on iOS but I think it's completely unnecessary on a desktop computer. Modern websites have content refreshing techniques using ajax and alert you of activity on the same page. Having the tab completely reload breaks all that functionality.

Does anyone know a terminal command or any way I can completely disable this? I want all my tabs on RAM always, I don't care if my computer goes slower.

I also posted a reply on Apple Support to someone complaining about the same thing:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/15748555

2. pooryou macrumors 65816

It reloads pages constantly. This is the worst version of Safari yet, I really hope it is fixed soon.
    I'm using it on Snow Leopard BTW.

3. SR71 macrumors 68000

Been using Lion for since it was released to the public and I usually have 40+ tabs open in Safari and not once have they ever reloaded for no reason. Good luck fixing your problem, guys! It'd piss me off if that happened to me, too.

4. chrisblore macrumors regular

I get this too and it's really getting on my nerves. Firefox doesn't support gestures in Lion and Safari has this ridiculous behaviour so I'm struggling to find a browser that works for me at the moment. :(

5. mrklaw macrumors 65816

makes no sense on a desktop. Even if you run out of ram, you have the HDD to page to, unlike on an iPad (although personally I'd like the iPad browser to page to user storage if it'd stop it refreshing the damn tabs if you so much as blink)

6. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Also the inbrowser java is deactivated by default, annoying when trying to online bank :/