Safari 5.1- where'd my smooth scrolling go?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by TheIntruder, Jul 27, 2011.

1. TheIntruder macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

In playing with Safari 5.1, I've found that it has lost the smooth scrolling effect.

Scrolling with a scroll wheel is now choppy and unrefined.

At first, this was mostly going to be a question about whether it's a bug anyone else has experienced, but based on more digging, I now suspect that it's also related to another change that Apple made to 5.1, as well as iTunes 10.4.

These two apps are now geared toward touch-control input devices, with a non-linear response curve to mitigate the physical constraints of those types of devices, as well as input/response ratios that result in increments detrimental to most devices that don't belong to that category.

And Apple, being Apple, does not provide a method to tune those compromises out.

Sigh. Progress, I guess.

2. Daria macrumors regular

Daria

I don't know if this is helpful, but I'll just say that I've experienced no problems in scrolling with my Kensington Orbit Optical. I.e., there's nothing different in how it works with the new version. Scrolling is smooth as glass.

Might you consider getting an Orbit?

3. TheIntruder thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

I dislike trackballs, so that's not an option.

I believe (hope) it's only a bug, because Safari's smooth scrolling effect has always been one of the better ones out there among browsers, and to have it completely gone is quite uncharacteristic, if not jarring.

You might not be affected because it interprets movements from a trackball just like a trackpad, rather than a scroll wheel.

I know it's not a driver issue, because it still occurs in lieu of any 3rd party device driver.