Safari 5.1 won't block cookies

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Bill P., Jul 24, 2011.

1. Bill P. macrumors regular

Bill P.

In Safari prefs, privacy settings tab, I have "Block cookies from third parties and advertisers" checked. However, I see that I still accumulate cookies from sites I haven't visited such as twitter.com, msn.com, doubleclick.net, wsj.net, etc.

It appears that there are links on pages I visit that propagate these cookies. Hundreds of cookies were received after I loaded a page with several tabs open and very little other activity by me.

I'm using Safari 5.1. Is there a way to block cookies except for sites I visit?

Note: I Googled this problem and found that it is a VERY common complaint for many users. I'm hoping someone here has a work around.

2. Aniday macrumors regular

I've noticed the same thing. It seems you can't help accumulating a million cookies you never need and serve no practical purpose.

You can, however, try out the Ghostery extension. It blocks tracker cookies from advertisers and other things you may not want. I've been using it in Firefox and I was happy to see it also available on Safari.

3. WildGuess macrumors regular

I can't get Ghostery to work anymore in 5.1. Sent message to Ghostery site.