Safari 5 Address bar behaviour

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thomasp, Jun 24, 2010.

1. thomasp macrumors 6502a

Hi,

Is it possible to get the "old Safari" (ie all versions prior to v5) behaviour back? I've noticed, since upgrading on my Mac, that when you type something into the address bar, it will first search for page titles that match that, rather than addresses. I find this quite irritating when you visit many websites of similar topics.

For example, take www.planetf1.com and www.f1complete.com - Planet F1 has "F1" in its title (obviously!), and I can access it by typing "pl" into the address bar.

Now, say I wish to visit F1 Complete, if I start typing "f1", it will detect this from the Planet F1 title, and instead put that address in the address bar, rather than defaulting to f1complete.com.

Other examples, if I wish to visit Twitter, I type "t", and instead I get Facebook, as the title of that webpage is "Welcome to Facebook".

Can anyone help?

2. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

To my knowledge, no you can't change it. There was a discussion about this in the Mac OS X sub-forum. To my recollection, there was no solution offered other than clearing your history each time you exit Safari (there is a way to set this up in preferences).

3. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

You can probably fix it with some "defaults write" kung fu in terminal.

4. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

If you want to clear your history everytime you quit Safari without manually having to do. Clear your history then locate the Safari history .plist file. Once its locked the file can no longer be written and as soon as you quit Safari the history goes back to being empty (or however it was when you locked it).

That being said I dont think thats really going to help the OP on this one very much as Im sure he doesnt want to keep opening and closing safari between visiting sites. :D

5. thomasp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, deleting the history isn't really a good solution, as a lot of these sites aren't bookmarked! I prefer navigating by the address bar rather than favourites, as I'd have quite a lot of favourites in a long, hard-to-navigate list with many subfolders!

6. snberk103 macrumors 603

I thought I had read somewhere that Safari "learns" as time goes on - though perhaps that memory is wishful thinking. But if so, if you type 't' and then click on 'Twitter', bypassing the suggested 'Welcome to Facebook' suggestion, enough times then 'Twitter' will start coming up first.

Sorry I couldn't be more help...

7. Maui19 macrumors regular

This new "feature" is annoying as heck. I'm seriously thinking about going back to version 4.

8. DJRumpy macrumors newbie

Try this one in terminal:

defaults write com.apple.Safari DebugSafari4IncludeFancyURLCompletionList -bool FALSE

Just be sure you Quit Safari.