Safari 5 Blue Loading Bar Removal? Also auto-complete domain disabling?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bella92108, Jun 7, 2010.

1. bella92108 macrumors 68000

Back when I got Safari 3 I remember there was a terminal command to disable the blue loading bar and enable the "Loading" in Safari. Will that work again in Safari 5?

Also, is there a way to disable that auto fill? For example when I type ama... it auto completes to amazon.com/cgi-xxx rather than defaulting to just amazon.com which Safari 4 did... super annoying.

Anyone?

This is REALLY annoying and I can't find anywhere to disable it in the settings...

For example. I frequent buy.com ... so the new Safari remembers what buy.com sites I go to, so when i start typing buy.... it then goes to https://ssl.buy.com/CO/loginCheckout.aspx before buy.com because that's the last site I visited ... why the hell would they do this in the new version, it's AWFUL!

Suggestions?

2. LurkingIowan macrumors member

LurkingIowan

For me, I experienced a nearly rapturous moment of joy upon noticing the return of the blue progress bar. Disable it?? Never!

3. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

I'm with you - I felt a brief bit of "No way, this can't be back!" but then it was! It was! It was such a happy feeling :)

4. ptsube macrumors 6502

Ditto. Glad it's back.

5. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

I felt the same way, I was extremely happy

6. HackDaBox macrumors member

HackDaBox

Best new feature in Safari 5 is an old friend thats back!

The blue loading bar !

HackDaBox !

7. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Your easily pleased. Its just a blue bar to me. Makes no difference. I preferred it without but its no biggie at all.

8. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I'd prefer a timer. In some cases, the bar sticks, or when it finishes, another one starts over! (Not speaking specifically of Safari.)

9. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

"Also, is there a way to disable that auto fill? For example when I type ama... it auto completes to amazon.com/cgi-xxx rather than defaulting to just amazon.com which Safari 4 did... super annoying.
    Anyone?
    This is REALLY annoying and I can't find anywhere to disable it in the settings..."

There's never been a preference setting to disable the auto-fill. It "works" whether you want it to, or not.

I don't know of any hack to disable it, either.

There _IS_ a "workaround". When you're going to manually type in a URL, type a "space" character (spacebar) FIRST. Then you can type in your URL without the autofill "activating".

But it works ONLY if you use a space as your first character in the entry bar.

I, too, think that it's REALLY annoying.

Anyone from Apple listening?

10. peakchua macrumors regular

So How Do You Remove It!! I Hate It Because Ive Never Used Safari 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. CK1Czar macrumors member

I originally missed the blue bar in Safari 4, but with it back, it just seems so dated to me now.

12. hdsalinas macrumors 6502

hdsalinas

I really love that blue bar, other than that and the ability to force new windows to new tabs (yss!) I don't see much different

Welcome back blue bar!

13. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

There are a bunch of settings for autofill in Preferences: Autofill. I'd try some of those to see if you can get it to turn off.

14. met68 macrumors newbie

Helloooo????

OP asked a very valid question. I happen to share the dislike for the blue progress bar and would also appreciate some help here. Not much point posting only to let us know that you happen to like it????!!!!!

15. bella92108 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks, good newbie :) .... Welcome to MacRumors Forums. I agree with you... but I'm not sure WHY people do that. Every time I post, there's several people who must like to talk for the sake of talking, because they'll post "I don't have that problem".... I wonder if they get an oil change and when at the dealership, overhear someone talking to the technician about a noise their engine makes and shout "My car is working fine, mine doesn't make that noise" ... oh no, of course they don't because they're trolls trying to speak for the sake of speaking. LOL. People, if you don't have anything constructive to contribute, don't. If I ask how to make ice cubes, don't tell me your icemaker is working fine, it doesn't interest me, nor is it relevant to address my concern. If you want to post your own thread on how wonderful your ice cubes are, by all means, but don't waste MY time because your puppy doesn't want to hear your voice.

16. funkster macrumors newbie

Well, there is the possibility to open the Safari package and change the URLField... ressources in Photoshop or the likes. I have tried it with a grey progress bar I found here:
    http://macthemes.net/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=677970
    but it definetely is still too much for me.
    I´m now going to make a "white" ergo "invisible" bar.

The reason why I don´t like the bar is that (subjectively) page loading seems slower. Most of the page is already there but the bar shows that still some details are being loaded. I really don´t need to know that. And when Safari SEEMS faster it IS faster, since perception IS reality.

17. funkster macrumors newbie

here is a white/invisible progressbar.
    - cmd-click safari (shows safari in finder)
    - ctrl-click (right-click) safari and choose show package contents
    - open Contents > Ressources
    - make a backup copy (move with "alt") of all "URLField..." files
    - put all the png files of the zip in the Ressources folder and confirm replace (all).

DO IT ON OWN RISK!!!
    works fine for me. -- no blue progressbar.
    it´s fine for me to just have either the reload or stop icon in the URL field.

EDIT: removed zipped files. Please use jonnyz´s files below. I had some grey shadow pixels missing.

18. jonnyz macrumors newbie

@ funkster

While your progress bar is great, there are tiny gray lines (2 px on top, 1 px on bottom) in the progress bar that are white in your images, so I made up a set extremely similar to yours that has these gray pixels as well and makes it look more seamless. Same instructions as above, and props to funkster for thinking of this method first.

Attached Files:

19. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

Why not make it light grey then if you don't like the blue?

Being able to see how far a page is loaded is really useful, why remove that? :(

20. jonnyz macrumors newbie

I don't know about you, but on a fast broadband connection for me it's just an annoying blue flash for a fraction of a second. There's really no need for it, especially with the Status Bar on.

21. funkster macrumors newbie

@ jonnyz: cool, using your pngs now. I just quick and dirty erased everything beside the outmost pixels.

22. Reach macrumors 6502a

My main problem is that Safari 5 now suddenly auto-completes based on page TITLES, not URL's... It's stupid, and it makes me go to the wrong sites half the time these days.. :p

23. nosugrefneb macrumors newbie

The autocomplete thing is very annoying for me as well. I usually quickly type "fa" and Return to go to Facebook, but the other day I guess I went a little too quickly, and now "fa/" is the first result and I've had to switch to typing "fac" to get to Facebook. Very strange and very annoying.

(Added: Just noticed that if I type "f", then it suggests Facebook, but "fa" still suggests "fa/". Even weirder.)

Firefox used to (and I think still does) let you delete autocomplete results by just selecting them as they pop up and hitting Delete. I wish it were the same for Safari.

24. BugOrFeature macrumors newbie

I still get autocomplete with the preceding space.

The "AutoFill" preferences relate to filling out forms on web pages, not the URL bar's autocompletion.

25. MacOSExustio macrumors newbie

EDIT autocomplete strings?

Better question - is there a way to edit what autocompletes to what? My problem is with the local university proxy server, I would like to just be able to type 'pr' and get 'proxy.indiana.edu/login?url=', but instead I get that, and then a link to some url after that..

Would Safari Extensions be able to modify the autocomplete behavior perhaps? They appear to be able to do a limited amount with the browser behavior itself, not just with the HTML.