Safari 5 Crashes - Toolbar

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by davidgtz, Jun 8, 2010.

1. davidgtz macrumors newbie

I downloaded the gmail extension and when i installed it it immediately showed up in the toolbar, but that was not the case with the reload button, so now when I go to the customize toolbar pop-up menu Safari just crashes when I roll over it. Has this happened to anyone else? I already reported this bug...If it indeed is one. Sorry if there's already a thread on this.

2. Knilo macrumors newbie

Yeah got the same problem for same reason... but i was really stupid...
    When secondary clicking on the taskbar i pressed remove by accident and got rid of url and search... and now i cant get it back

3. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Safari 5, meh, Been using Google Chrome for a week-super fast, no spinning beach balls, LOADS of extensions,enough to please anyone:cool:

4. cruxflux macrumors newbie

Yes, I have the same problem. Install any extension and it crashes exactly as you describe.

But only with my computer at work:
    10.5, Macbook Pro (about 12 months old).

My computer at home, 1st gen Macbook (2006) with 10.6 does not have this problem though.

5. davidgtz thread starter macrumors newbie

6. cruxflux macrumors newbie

What Mac do you have and which OS?

7. davidgtz thread starter macrumors newbie

It's a 13" aluminum Macbook, before they renamed them to macbook pros. OS X 10.5.8

Oh and i might just try out Chrome until they fix Safari 5, it feels slower now for some reason.

8. TheIntruder macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

I can confirm that this problem only affects the Leopard version of Safari 5.

Any attempt to customize the toolbar after an extension that has an associated button is installed and activated will result in a crash.

The Snow Leopard version is not affected.

If you're impatient (like I am), you can work around it by customizing the 10.6 version of Safari as you like, then substituting the 10.6 plist in place of the 10.5 plist.

This assumes you have access to machines with both systems, and have Safari configured similarly on both. It's a hack, but it works. Or, if you know how to edit plist files...