Safari 5 Flash background display bug

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by LeeTom, Jun 7, 2010.

1. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Upgraded to Safari 5 today. As a web developer working on projects, I should have known better, but I did discover a bug:

Safari 5 incorrectly displays some embedded Flash backgrounds.

Background
    Check http://www.bradgibson.com/
    This site uses SIFR (Scalable Inman Flash Replacement) for some text. For those of you that are unfamiliar, it is a JavaScript/Flash combo trick that allows you to show text in a font that is unavailable to the person viewing the site – using Flash. You still type the text out in HTML, but using Javascript, it hides the original text and displays a Flash plugin which dynamically grabs the text and displays it using a different font, often one that isn't commonly used. It's a good thing because if people don't have Flash, it displays the content in text/html, in a browser-friendly font; if they do, it allows the designer to use a wider variety of fonts and have them actually work.

The Bug
    On every browser except Safari 5 (including previous versions of Safari), the Flash text is displayed properly with a transparent background. In Safari 5, the text is displayed with a black background.
    I tested this on Safari 5, Safari 4, Firefox 3.6.3, Chrome 5.0.375.55, and IE8 for Windows 7.

I don't know yet if adding more variables to the Flash SWF file will allow the black background to go away, but I intend to find out.

Update
    It's not just a small website, either. For those of you with Safari 5, check out Adobe's CS5 page. Notice anything weird about the headline text?
    http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/?promoid=DNOWM

2. LeeTom thread starter macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Nevermind! Flash prelease 10,1,52,15 was the culprit, not Safari 5. The bug is fixed in the latest 10.1 prerelease (10,1,53,64), so this is much ado about nothing.

Carry on!

3. pklapp macrumors newbie

Thank you so so much, I would have never figured that out by my self...

(exact same problem)

4. mimeArtist macrumors member

Have you noticed that the area for the .swf on sites, now grows from 0pixels high from the base of the area, and then fills the area?

weird... ps... that site is black for me too