Safari 5: No SnapBack

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sheepopo39, Jun 7, 2010.

1. sheepopo39 macrumors 6502

I heard that Snapback is now back in Safari, but it is NOWHERE to be found when I use the search bar and go to other pages, even the option in the history menu is disable, anyone know what to do?

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

It's enabled for me. Not something I use though.

3. PeterC-7 macrumors member

No Snapback for me...

No snapback for me either with Safari 5 - didn't work on version 4 either. Yet it's touted as a feature on the Apple site. Is there a pref somewhere to turn it on?

4. ntg macrumors regular

ntg

SnapBack - Quickly returning to search results

Quoted from Apple:-

If you've done a web search and then browsed around a bit, Safari gives you a quick way to return to the search results.
    To return to search results:
    Type a search term or phrase in the search field and press Return.

Visit some webpages. For example, click the Home button or follow some links. Notice that an orange circle with a left-pointing arrow appears in the search field. This is the SnapBack button.

Click the SnapBack button to return to the search results.

If you perform searches in different windows, the SnapBack button in each window returns you to the search results for that window.
    If you click the SnapBack button in the search field, Safari removes the SnapBack button from the search field and the address field, if there is one.

Nig.

5. shadygrove macrumors regular

Works for me...

Cool feature. Hopefully I can remember to use it instead of habitually clicking back.

6. MotleyPete macrumors regular

7. PeterC-7 macrumors member

Still doesn't explain why the Snapback button hasn't been on any of my Mac's for two to three years.

My brand new MBP doesn't have it.

My wife's new iMac doesn't have it either. So it can't be settings specific to my account.

The Snapback item is just permanently greyed out on both machines and no orange button ever appears.

8. pooryou macrumors 65816

This works for me:

Good that they finally found a useful implementation for SnapBack.

I think some people may be confused because the original SnapBack took you back to the homepage of the site you were on, which personally I never saw any use for since that's so easy to do multiple other ways. This one is specifically for the Search field to the right of the URL bar at the top of the Safari window, in case that isn't clear from Apple's description.

9. PeterC-7 macrumors member

Found the cause of the problem

Did some searching and have put some pieces together.

Basically, the problem seems to be with Google localising its searches. If you search from Google.com by removing the localisation after google.com in the address-field, you'll find Snapback works.

If you do the search with the localisation in the address, Snapback won't work. If you search with Bing or Yahoo, Snapback will work.

The conclusion has to be, that Snapback is set to work only from the three specific sites coded into Safari's choice of search engines. Google's localised sites are too numerous to be specifically coded.

It would be useful if there was an option where you could browse to the search engine you wished to use.

With relations cooling between Apple and Google, I doubt there'll be any moves any time soon to fix any problems caused by Google.

10. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

11. Glen Quagmire macrumors 6502a

Snapback, where you marked a page and could then return to it at any point, was removed in version 4 or thereabouts. I missed it quite a lot - I found it very useful. The newer implementation only worked with search results, which didn't suit my needs. The linked extension takes you back to the first page in the current history, which isn't much use if you want to mark an arbitrary page.

However, I wrote an extension that reinstates the old snapback functionality. It is attached to this message - give it a whirl and see what you think. It adds a pair of entries to the context menu - one for setting the snapback page and another for reloading that page.

The extension is in a ZIP archive - extract this and double-click to install. There's not a huge amount to it - half a page of Javascript and a plist file.

Attached Files:

12. pooryou macrumors 65816

My understanding of the original SnapBack feature was that it took you back to the home page of the site, which is easy to do anyway. Where did 'marking' the page you want to snap back to come in? Did I totally miss that part?