Safari 5 - Slow Flash performance

Discussion in 'macOS' started by GerMo, Sep 13, 2010.

1. GerMo macrumors member

Flash on Safari 4 was very quick, but after my update to Safari 5, all flash games slowed down. A flash game which I play very often is 'Restaurant City' on Facebook. Try it out and tell me what you experience using safari 5. I have no problems if I used Mozilla on my mbp, but once I use Safari, I need 5 seconds to press a single button in the game. :confused:
    Any fix or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. R3DH3R0 macrumors regular

I too am having the same problems. When I had my older iMac with Snow Leopard I upgraded to 10.6.4 which makes you upgrade to Safari 5, there's no way around it. So I downgraded back to 10.6.3, and Safari 4 and everything was fine. I just bought a 27" iMac a month ago and it comes preinstalled with 10.6.4, so I don't have a disc to downgrade from, but I am experiencing horrible slow downs with flash and crashing with Safari 5 altogether. I have switched to Google Chrome and it's FAST! No crashing, Flash works great, just have to get used to it a bit.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Which version of Flash are you folks running? I have no issue with Flash 10.1. Also, do not assume that your problems are universal. When asking for help with issues such as this, you should give a link to the problematic site.

4. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

flash is useless, what more is there to be said?

5. GerMo thread starter macrumors member

I am also running Flash 10.1.
    If you have facebook, check out this site using safari 5:
    http://apps.facebook.com/restaurantcity/?pf_ref=sb&ref=bookmarks
    I am assuming that the origin of the problem is probably something in safari 5 since it worked fine with safari 4 as well as current version of mozilla.
    Check the site out and tell me your experience.

6. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Well, that doesn't really help them out, now, does it? :)

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Curse you.

8. Jimaroid macrumors newbie

I've got the same problem and its driving me crazy. Ever since the Software update to Safari 5, all Flash usage has been terrible in performance for me.

It's particularly evident on this page at the moment, I've attached an Activity Monitor screenshot whilst it's attempting to render it too: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/ten-minute-demo-bioshock-infinite/704931

No other applications were running at the time of this.

Things I have tried and/or checked without any change or solution:

• Checked Safari is in 64 bit mode
    • Repaired permissions
    • Restart cycled through Safe Mode
    • Reinstalled latest Flash Plugin from Adobe

H/W & S/W versions where useful:
    Model Name: MacBook
    Model Identifier: MacBook5,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 2 GB

OSX 10.6.4
    Safari Version 5.0.2 (6533.18.5)

Would really appreciate any help, I do not want to switch browsers - that is not a solution. :)

Attached Files:

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I don't know what you mean by "latest Flash Plugin." However, the Flash 64-bit plugin is still very much in development.

10. GerMo thread starter macrumors member

I tried out the page you visited, but no sluggish performance was evident to me. Flash video playing is very good on my mbp, I would suggest you to try a different browser first, so that you know if the problem is software or hardware based.

11. Jimaroid macrumors newbie

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
    Version 10.1

Works fine in Firefox 3.0.8 (An old version I happen to have installed and never really use)

The performance difference /may/ be due to GameTrailers using Flash advertising banners that have since changed.

Regardless, Flash performance has been noticeably much worse since Software Updating to Safari 5. Also noticeable across http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/ which I visit many times a day and overnight from the Software update I lost the ability to browse around stories with any speed.

12. Davieis macrumors regular

Yep, same issue with me. I downloaded a program called ClickToFlash which doesn't eliminate the problem but helps as it blocks flash content unless you click the element to view it.

Have any of you noticed that the inertial scrolling in iTunes 10 is MUCH slower than it was in 9.2.1? I just downgraded (more like upgraded) to 9.2.1 and am AMAZED at the performance in comparison to v10.

13. GerMo thread starter macrumors member

Hmm... I am using iTunes 10 as well. I am not experiencing any problems though, the inertial scrolling is very smooth for me. Which Mac are you using?

14. Davieis macrumors regular

I'm using the current 21.5-inch base model iMac...with the 4670. I suppose its not jerky scrolling like Safari is...although when you compare the fluidity and smoothness of the scroll in comparison to 9.2.1, the difference is night and day.

15. shnookface macrumors newbie

I have a MBP 17" i7 2.63Ghz.
    Mac OSX 10.6.5
    Safari Version 5.0.3 (6533.19.4)

I have been playing the cartown facebook game and have been very disappointed with the flash performance. performance starts off as average, but the more buttons you click, the slower flash gets... until you can't really play properly at all... I have viewed enough forums to have the opinion that it isn't just me having this problem, but rather just about everyone else with the same software. I compared performance with an old PC with IE and the latest flash plugin and the PC owned. Safari and adobe just need to get their crap together and bring out an update to fix the bug!!!

16. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Which version of Flash?

17. Alex72 macrumors member

I noticed the same thing, too; never did find a solution. Indeed, moments ago, I just played "City of Wonder", via Facebook, in Safari and found it to run noticeably slower than it typically does in Camino -- even the latest version of Camino, which itself has some issues versus the older versions... :confused:

Running Safari 5.1 (6534.50) on an MBP i5/2.53 with 10.6.8.

18. GerMo thread starter macrumors member

I actually don't have a fix for you. But my problem is actually solved already. It has been solved after I upgraded to Mac OS X Lion 10.7. If you mac is capable and that you're willing to spend the $29.99, then you should give it a try. It has pretty decent upgrades.