Safari 5: Switch tabs with CMD + a number?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by -mattias-, Jun 8, 2010.

1. -mattias- macrumors member

Hello all,

I've been using Firefox for the last couple of years, but with the introduction of Safari 5, I thought I would give it a try. So far it has been good, but there have been one problem, which I really find annyoing: I cannot use the shortcut CMD + 1-9 to switch tabs (eg. CMD + 4 moves me to tab).

I search for it on Google, but haven't found a lot. I've been using this as a solution, which has worked fine so far, except for one thing: It also applies for other apps like mail, where I'm used to open my inbox with CMD + 1.

This is what I've been doing so far: http://noodlescape.com/jumping-tabs-in-safari/. I saved it as an AppleScript, and set it up for a trigger in QuickSilver, but the scope thing doensn't work.

So does any of you how to fix this problem, or any other way to switch the tabs using the CMD + 1-9?

2. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

I just tried this in Chrome and it works... just another reason to be happy I just switched browsers :cool:

3. -mattias- thread starter macrumors member

It also works in Safari, the problem is that QuickSilver make the shortcut to not only Safari, but all apps.

4. -mattias- thread starter macrumors member

I've been searching again, and I've now found another solution using FastScript: http://justinblanton.com/2009/02/go-to-safari-tab-with-keyboard

Problem with this one is, that if you switch between tabs too quick, you'll get some kind of lag or it just won't switch to that tab. Is this normal with FastScript?

5. Wheelie4 macrumors regular

Wheelie4

If your using Safari 5 there's a new extension for this feature called ctrlSwitcher. But it can only use ctrl, opt, or ctrl+opt as your meta keys (default ctrl). It appears you can’t override the previously bound commands due to security restrictions, but control is available though.

6. -mattias- thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help.

But would still rather could use the cmd+1-9, so if anyone has a solution please come with it. :)

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Is there a particular reason why Command+Shift+] and Command+Shift+[ doesn't work for you?

8. -mattias- thread starter macrumors member

I don't find them as useful. If I use CMD+shift+[ or ] I have to tab it until I find the tab I'm looking for. With CMD+1-9 I can just do it once, and I'm at the tab I wanted to be at.

9. Yupper3D macrumors member

Agreed, it's so annoying. Come on Safari, Firefox and Chrome work that way! If anyone finds an answer please let us know.

10. Calintro macrumors newbie

11. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

12. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

Thanks! (still works in 2014)

Just wanted to say thanks to Calintro. Came across this thread in a Google search for Safari tab switching behavior and it works like a charm :)