Safari 5 - trying again but still a few annoyances

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rdstoll, Jun 27, 2010.

1. rdstoll macrumors 6502

I'm trying to give Safari another shot after giving up on it when I first moved to the Mac world. Fortunately, they've added extensions so I can get the coveted Adblock on Safari now. This is on a MacBook Pro.

But three things really bother me about Safari and I want to see if there are any tricks to these.

- Highlighting the entire address bar when wanting to put in a new address. I know this can be accomplished by Command + L but I'm not a keyboard shortcut person and would like to just mouse over to the address bar, click it once, and have everything highlighted.

- Similar complaint about the search bar, but I know of no command keyboard shortcut that will allow me to highlight all the text when putting in a new search.

- Opening a new tab quickly. Again, I know this can be accomplished by hitting Command + T but I really prefer having a "+" there to open a new tab similar to Firefox or IE.

2. Skika macrumors 68030

You can setup a "+" tab button. Just go to customize toolbar and drag the "+tab" button to wherever you like.

3. rdstoll thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks!!

One other complaint/wish: On the Bookmarks bar, when I open a folder but scroll to other folders to the right/left of the open folder, the other folders do not automatically without two clicks: one click to close the open folder and another click to open the folder I want to look at.

4. tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

Clicking on the little website icon next to the address highlights the entire address bar .
    CMD-L and then TAB

5. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

Ha, we have similar neurotic preferences!

Here's another tip:
    Provided you have two or more tabs open, you can double click on the blank 'tab space' (for lack of a better word), and it will open a new tab. Much quicker than CMD + T.

FYI, if you want to customize your search bar, Glims is essential!

6. macieks72 macrumors newbie

or alt+cmd+f

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Do you play FPS with 1 hand?

Way faster with keyboard shortcuts.

Search bar = Command+T and TAB
    (by the time you hit the search box with your cursor I am already seeing results)