Safari 5: Type in address bar to search

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Wowzera, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Wowzera macrumors 6502a

2. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

3. Thomas Harte macrumors 6502

I think SafariStand has already been updated for Safari 5 and has Keywurl-style functionality. It's still a SIMBL-based hack and a prayer type job though, and I've not yet seen anything native to the new Safari extension mechanism (if the mechanism even allows this sort of thing?).

4. Wowzera thread starter macrumors 6502a

The plugin I posted used to work in Safari 4, I hope we get something similar to Safari 5.

5. honem macrumors newbie

I found this today :

http://www.macosxtips.co.uk/keysearch/

Works great :)

Bring it up via View menu -> Show Keysearch bar.

Put in new keywords using the Edit Keywords option.

Then go into settings and configure that. I have it set it to come up with a modal popup , results to open in a new tab.

Then I hide the bar again. Now I can search using Control S and a little grey bar appears at the the bottom of my window. Keyword and query then I press enter.The results come up in a new tab.

6. molex macrumors newbie

Sorry but I don't see how that's a solution? Or even any better than using Safari 5's existing google search bar?

When you open a new tab (Cmd-T) your cursor focus is in the address bar. All yo have to do is hit "tab" to move over to the google bar and you can search from there, seems easier than installing an extension etc.

With that said, I would MASSIVELY prefer to be able to search directly from the address bar. That way you could open a new tab and immediately type in your search, hit return and voila: Googled. Seems like such a simple concept, why wouldn't they add this option.

7. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

8. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

9. pazz macrumors regular

Awesome.

Thanks for recommending Safari Omnibar.

Just what I was after.

10. Fofer macrumors 6502a

11. llcmac macrumors newbie

Have you tried searching with Alfred or a similar app? Granted, it's not searching from the address bar, but the number of keystrokes is the same. The results open in a new tab. You can start a search even if you are not in Safari. Alfred includes presets for popular sites and you can also create your own for any website. I was so used to Firefox Quick Search function and settled for this as the best option.

12. kasakka macrumors 68000

Note that if you use both Glims and Safari Omnibar, the Glims search engine options don't work.

13. pendolino macrumors member

pendolino

14. Fofer macrumors 6502a

That one only lets you search via pre-specified search engines:

…and there is no way to add your own.

Safari Keyword Search remains my favorite. Works with Lion and Safari 5.1.x. No SIMBL or Input Manager hacks required. More info here.