Safari 6.1 - Saving and searching bookmarks?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Doc69, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Doc69 macrumors 6502

How do I get the search field to appear in the new Bookmarks sidebar? I had it there for a while yesterday, but now it's gone and I can't find a way to make it appear again.

When I click the + sign next to the address bar to add a new Bookmark in 6.1, I no longer get the save dialog box that you got before and with CMD+D. Now the bookmark "flies" with an animation into the Bookmarks sidebar, but where exactly did it go? And how can I make the + button behave like CMD+D, so that I can name my Bookmark and choose the save location myself?

And for me, apart from now being able to browse different Bookmarks without closing the Bookmarks sidebar (which is great), nothing about the new way the Bookmarks sidebar works and looks is an improvement.

2. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

To add a Bookmark, try clicking on the box with the arrow to the left to the "+" sign. You will get the drop down as shown.

Attached Files:

3. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

The search field is "hidden" above the bookmarks list : scroll the list up and the field will appear.

[​IMG]

4. Doc69 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! The "share" button was not visible in my toolbar, but I've added it now. Unfortunately this method requires two clicks instead of one to add a bookmark.

I also figured out what happens when you click the + button now. It adds the page to the reading list instead of saving a bookmark. For me, this is a step down. I never add anything to the reading list (I use Instapaper instead), but I save bookmarks several times a day. There should be a setting so the user could decide which one of the "Share" choices the + button activates. In ALL browsers since the dawn of the Internet, there has always been a prominent button close to the address bar that with one click would bring up the "Save As" window for Bookmarks. Why change that in 2013? Was it broken?

----------

Thanks! With all the new greyscale I didn't see that the scroll bar was not all the way up.

5. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

You don't need the "share" button to add a bookmark !

Click (and hold) the (default) "+" button.

If you click the button without holding it, the current page is added to the reading list.

[​IMG]

6. Doc69 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! That helps a lot. So between this tip and CMD+D, I think I'll manage. :)

7. golfgirlgolf macrumors member

golfgirlgolf

Californian living on the other West Coast (FL)
    I fully agree - this "new" way of saving a bookmark is counterintuitive - it's like something Microsoft would do. Turn off the computer by hitting "Start".

Adding options is fine - but those options should take low priority over the primary function. The "hold the + symbol" should relegated to the reading list or other stuff. One click/Add Bookmark/Save As - is a UI standard. It's like moving the brake pedal on a new car design to some other place. Weird.

8. mcfreeak macrumors newbie

one more?

Holding the + sign brings up the bookmark list but as soon as I move the curser of off the + the page goes straight to reading list.
    What am I missing?

9. codehead1 macrumors newbie

In previous versions, searching on bookmarks also searched the URL. For instance, I could find any bookmark for "yahoo". Now, it will only find bookmarks with "yahoo" in the bookmark name, ignoring the URL. Any way around this? Not searching the URLs is a terrible loss when you want to find all the bookmarks you made that reference a particular site.