Safari 6 Hates My Guts

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by Zyphras, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Zyphras macrumors member

Seriously. Not only has it dropped support for RSS feeds (my strongest reason to use Safari over Chrome) but it's also an extreme memory hog. Even if I open about:blank it quickly uses up more and more ram at a frightening rate before crashing. I'm afraid to even open it. If these issues aren't fixed I'm moving to Chrome, and that browser has many little irritations but memory-hoggyness ain't one of them.

Anyone else dumping Safari? I know the memory problems will probably be fixed but dropping of RSS will not change I think.

2. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

I'm not experiencing any memory problems with Safari 6. I have about 20 tabs open right now and Safari is taking up a total of around 1GB, around the same as what Firefox would take. I actually have more free ram available than in Lion so I'm pretty happy. The one thing I noticed though, is that after about 25+ tabs, the scrolling becomes slow and going to tabview takes a long time.

But for now, Safari has taken Firefox's place as my default browser, until Mozilla decides to take their heads out of their asses and actually care about people not on Wintel machines.

Chrome on the other hand got an immediate uninstall since it asked permission to access my contacts so I didn't have time to test it out in ML. But in Lion, it often took more memory for the same amount of tabs and the same websites open than either Safari or Firefox.

Also, try resetting Safari and see if that fixes the problem. And Reeder from the Mac App Store is a fantastic RSS Reader.

3. austinguy23 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted

Safari lacks support for RSS? WTF?

4. Dewroo macrumors regular

Dewroo

I barely use RSS myself. But i can see how that can be a problem for a minority of users.

5. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

I ask the same thing whenever anyone complains about Safari memory usage: are you using the AdBlock extension? For a very long time now, that extension has caused a horrid memory leak in all versions of Safari that support it.

Also, regarding RSS, I highly recommend switching to Google Reader and using the fantastic Reeder app (available in the Mac App Store). It's well worth the money and a much nicer experience than the now deceased Safari built-in reader.

6. Zyphras thread starter macrumors member

I notice with dismay that SafariDAVClient is behaving just like in the Lion developer builds: working forever in the background and achieving nothing.

7. Zyphras thread starter macrumors member

Yeah. Sucks. I always like how I could have a folder full of RSS feeds on my bookmarks bar, for example I have a folder called Blogs full of blog RSS feeds and any number of new blog posts appears as a number beside Blogs, and I can load all of them up to see what's new.

8. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Go with a dedicated RSS reader (NetNewsWire, Reeder, Pulp, Vienna). They're much more powerful and you'll spend a lot less time reading news you don't care about.

I never understood why people like RSS in Safari. It is/was basic at best.

9. Zyphras thread starter macrumors member

I've just tried bought and tried out Reeder and it's much better than I expected. Thanks.

10. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

That's the one I use as well. :)

11. Bear macrumors G3

It's there, it's simple to use. Some people don't need more than that.

----------

If you do use google reader, you might want to make a separate google account for it so google has a more difficult time collecting information about you.

12. Zyphras, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2012

Zyphras thread starter macrumors member

Another thing I've just noticed. You can no longer right-click anywhere on a page (or frame within a page) and view its source. I can't find View Source anywhere in the menus either. This is a bit of a dumbing down to say the least.

13. diddl14 macrumors 6502a

diddl14

Guess I'm part of the minority.. - pretty much hate to see this is gone..

14. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Try the developer menu.

15. minky1234 macrumors newbie

Yeah this was a lot simpler before, I found it by enabling the developer menu in Safari preferences (under advanced) and then you can view the source from the develop menu.

16. chrisherbert macrumors member

I've heard that a lot of people are down on the new "view source" look, but I think it's an improvement over the old version, which looked like something from 1999. It didn't even have color coding!

I also think it's okay that it's hidden unless you have the developer menu enabled. It's always seemed like a pretty hardcore power user feature to have on everyone's context menu by default.

17. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

Just updated and I absolutely hate it. I preferred the dedicated Google search bar, plus an extension that I had, Facebook Photo Zoom, doesn't work anymore. I might just be switching to Chrome.

18. 50548 Guest

I rolled back to 5.1.7, MUCH better with its activity monitor and backspace functionality (for moving back through pages). I really don't get the overhype with Safari 6...marginally speedier and that's all.

19. Zyphras thread starter macrumors member

Many thanks. I don't think I needed to enable the developer menu before though. But I suppose it streamlines the browser somewhat for non-technical users.

20. ruvil macrumors regular

Yes, that is why i used it. It was basic. All i needed to do was to see when my favourite blogs etc got a new update, now i can't. I have tried an external rss-reader (iReader atm) and even if it does work kind of neat, it feels to cluttered.

21. Zyphras, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012

Zyphras thread starter macrumors member

The Great Bookmarks Saga of '12

I discovered why I had such memory issues. SafariDAVClient was going crazy, it was working non-stop, using up much resources and communicating all the time with iCloud. This had caused my iPad to heat up and use much battery power even though I was not running anything. I decided to let all of my devices run overnight in the hope that everything would eventually sync. After several days of this, no such luck. I eventually discovered that for some reason, SafariDAVClient had created a huge humber of duplicates of bookmarks. I literally ended up with well over 50,000 bookmarks. I had to use Bookdog several times to automatically find and remove all of the duplicates. It took a long time even on an iMac Core i7. Then I had to manually remove all bookmark folders from iCloud on all of my deceives, then re-enable iCloud bookmarks with the freshly cleaned bookmarks that had no duplicates to make everything fine.

All of this would me a major headache for a non-technical/nerd person.

22. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I see. My favorite blogs update their sites multiple times a day (sometime over 75) and that was beyond annoying in Safari. I could see how it would be nice for a blog that updates once a week or fewer though.

23. Beezzy macrumors 6502

I stopped using chrome because when I downloaded gfxCardStatus, Chrome will go to the Dedicated GPU to power that app instead of using the Integrated card which in turn uses less battery and keeps my MacBook Pro cooler. Thats and ever since I upgraded to ML, Ive gotten an extra 1- 1 1/2 hrs of battery over using Chrome/Lion