Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psykick5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
I don't know, Safari 6 is really pretty and nice, but the graphical glitches, high memory and CPU usage (compared to Chrome), and quirks are starting to really bother me. The graphical glitches are so obvious and common that I just can't believe that the Safari developers just let it go to GM like this. If it was still DP 1 or 2 I'd understand. One visit to Twitter or Facebook will show you this issue in less than 30 seconds.

ScreenShot2012-07-24at121534AM.png

In Safari I'm running the same tabs as in Chrome Canary. In fact Chrome Canary has The Verge open as well as the same tabs as Safari. Why does Safari use memory, as well as have Safari Web Content take up another 750MB? All the Chrome Canary workers together take ~600MB. It's not like I'm running out of memory or anything on my rMBP but on a computer with 4GB memory I'd be sort of screwed. Safari is GM software while Chrome Canary is alpha software, but yet Chrome Canary works better? I really want to stick with Safari, I really like it, but the issues it has are just stupid. It's beta software at best, right now, but Apple expects to ship this with ML?

Just my .02

Marjamrob1

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
Well, GM for lion had some major improvements when it came out as a full version... You can always hope... Hopefully :/

phobox

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2007
The problem is that Safari has always been a huge memory hog, as far back as Leopard. Whats worse is that it doesnt properly release memory when you close tabs, so eventually you get to a situation where Safari has essentially made its way through all the available ram on the system and started swapping like crazy. This is why i always always end up going back to Chrome, as much as I try and want to like Safari.

keaide

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2010
I think that Apple does not care about havIng the best browser from the technical point of view. They want to attract (and then bind) the users through their unique iCloud features (syncing across all devices). After its initial version was released, Apple did not put much effort into Safari any more, with all the innovations coming from the competition. Apple focuses their resources on other things. The fact that it has iCloud integration and is the standard browser on the Mac and iOS will attract enough users.

Marjamrob1

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
I think that Apple does not care about havIng the best browser from the technical point of view. They want to attract (and then bind) the users through their unique iCloud features (syncing across all devices). After its initial version was released, Apple did not put much effort into Safari any more, with all the innovations coming from the competition. Apple focuses their resources on other things. The fact that it has iCloud integration and is the standard browser on the Mac and iOS will attract enough users.

Yes, and I also think that they focused more on having a beautiful browser. It's beautiful, but personally I want something that looks like s***, rather then running like it.

Tastydirt

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2009
There are still misconceptions about memory usage in 2012?

Safari will use as much available RAM you have free until it's told to give it up. You still have almost 2GB of RAM free in that screenshot, why should Safari reduce its memory footprint without any actual benefit to your system? Just because it's using lots of RAM doesn't mean its "bloated". Chrome and other browsers have exactly the same behaviour.

Lukeit

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2011
Shanghai, China
Look that if you count all the single instances opened by Chrome (Chrome renderer and Chrome worker) and add them up they total more or less exactly the same memory consumption as Safari (750 Mb for Chrome vs. 748 for Safari)

I don't know, Safari 6 is really pretty and nice, but the graphical glitches, high memory and CPU usage (compared to Chrome), and quirks are starting to really bother me. The graphical glitches are so obvious and common that I just can't believe that the Safari developers just let it go to GM like this. If it was still DP 1 or 2 I'd understand. One visit to Twitter or Facebook will show you this issue in less than 30 seconds.

In Safari I'm running the same tabs as in Chrome Canary. In fact Chrome Canary has The Verge open as well as the same tabs as Safari. Why does Safari use memory, as well as have Safari Web Content take up another 750MB? All the Chrome Canary workers together take ~600MB. It's not like I'm running out of memory or anything on my rMBP but on a computer with 4GB memory I'd be sort of screwed. Safari is GM software while Chrome Canary is alpha software, but yet Chrome Canary works better? I really want to stick with Safari, I really like it, but the issues it has are just stupid. It's beta software at best, right now, but Apple expects to ship this with ML?

Just my .02

MacRenegade

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2008
Look that if you count all the single instances opened by Chrome (Chrome renderer and Chrome worker) and add them up they total more or less exactly the same memory consumption as Safari (750 Mb for Chrome vs. 748 for Safari)

^^^ Wow, I sure hope the OP reads this one.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011

Safari will use as much available RAM you have free until it's told to give it up. You still have almost 2GB of RAM free in that screenshot,

Exactly. The memory pack rats crack me up. :D I have 8 GB. My goal is to use every single byte I paid for.

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec

Safari will use as much available RAM you have free until it's told to give it up. You still have almost 2GB of RAM free in that screenshot, why should Safari reduce its memory footprint without any actual benefit to your system? Just because it's using lots of RAM doesn't mean its "bloated". Chrome and other browsers have exactly the same behaviour.

Incorrect. I've seen Safari eat up all remaining ram (I've seen it go up to 5gb) and even when my system begins paging in an out like crazy it never releases any of the RAM it's using. It just keeps growing the longer you use it, even if you close all open tabs. Nothing is ever released back to the system unless you quit Safari completely.

You are correct here, but that RAM is release when you close the tabs in Chrome. You can see the instances disappear as you close one tab after the other, releasing any RAM that instance had been using. Not so with Safari. Even if you close the whole thing, the RAM is always being used by it and never released. Only solution is to quit the app entirely.

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
Something is wrong with your system then. Safari doesn't act that way for me.

Can you be more specific? Are you talking about the large amounts of RAM being used up or the RAM not being released?

Keep in mind, for this to happen, Safari must be left running for a while. If you quit the app often or shut down often, you won't see this phenomenon.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
I've just downgraded to 5.1.7 - Safari 6 is an absolute POS for me, first and foremost since the delete key does NOT work for going back anymore (not to mention the activity monitor).

The only issue I have now is how to delete the new Safari app from the Applications folder. OS X doesn't let me saying that it's essential for the system (even though it doesn't open anymore due to restored frameworks).

Edit: Done. Just had to sudo rm it and send it back to neverland.

Last edited:

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Well Safari for me has always used an average of 1GB of RAM. It hasn't bothered me or slowed my computer down in any noticeable way.

trustme

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012
I've just downgraded to 5.1.7 - Safari 6 is an absolute POS for me, first and foremost since the delete key does NOT work for going back anymore (not to mention the activity monitor).

The only issue I have now is how to delete the new Safari app from the Applications folder. OS X doesn't let me saying that it's essential for the system (even though it doesn't open anymore due to restored frameworks).

Edit: Done. Just had to sudo rm it and send it back to neverland.

ZOMG new OS X ML missing one feature that I always used! DOWNGRADING TO OSX PUMA!

Macallan82

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2009

Just my .02

Fast and light for me.

phobox

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2007
Having now upgraded to Mountain Lion and used Safari 6, I'm impressed. It's noticeably quicker to browse and load pages than Chrome and I love the gestures and new tab overview. Memory usage is still not to Chrome's standard of excellence, but it's a little more forgivable considering its speed and fluidity. Not seeing any of the issues people have reported such as graphical glitches etc. also I'll be honest, I really don't understand the crowd that say ML is a worthless upgrade based almost entirely on the fact that rss or activity window are no longer in safari. If that's your benchmark for a good OS, you may as well just use Chrome OS and be done with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.