Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PurrBall

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
Indianapolis
Safari has never been great with RAM, but it's hit new highs now! Running the SunSpider benchmark is causing Safari to use about 5.5 GB of RAM. Anyone else getting similar results?

ivzb

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2012
SSD memory leak

I'm not having problems with RAM memory, but as soon as I open Safari, the available space on my SSD drops to the point where there's only 800MB available. If i reset the system, all goes back to normal. Don't know how to fix this.

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
Is there any chance you're using the AdBlock extension?

I've noticed that AdBlock causes a gradual memory leak in all versions of Safari since the addition of extensions, which drove me to try GlimmerBlocker, an alternative (although not quite as thorough as AdBlock).

I'm using Safari 6.0 Developer Preview 2, by the way.

Aco Strkalj

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2012
Can someone tell me if Safari 6 reduces on the interface lag that the previous versions suffer from?

andy8

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2009

I've noticed that AdBlock causes a gradual memory leak in all versions of Safari since the addition of extensions, which drove me to try GlimmerBlocker, an alternative (although not quite as thorough as AdBlock).

Anyone recommend not to use AdBlocker on Safari 6, if not how about GlimmerBlocker or any other ad blocking extensions ? I wouldn't want to have memory leaks on my browser.

ihonda

Suspended
Sep 17, 2009
im using ablock 1password and sabconnect with safari 6 dev 2 and havent notice any bad memory leaks (knock on wood) but i also dont have flash installed on the machine.

PurrBall

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
Indianapolis

Bam, that was it! Wow. Thanks!

neilmcg

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2010
West Coast, Sweden
AdBlocker memory leak

I saw that the developers of AdBlocker say that it is not compatible with either Safari 5 or 6.

This is probably connected with it's reliance on SIMBL - which is not working properly on 10.7, it has been patched by others (the original dev seems to have walked away), but it still having problems with intermittent crashes and a memory leak (from my use).

Dan7575

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2013
Safari 6 Memory Leak

In my Macbook Pro 4GB RAM recently note memory leak when I opened Safari even with 1 or two windows open without refresh the web content.

In Activity monitor could see consume Web Content the Safari Spend more the 2 GB RAM (Memory Real become Memory Inactive)

Solution: Disable All Extensions and probe one to one. Finding that Fastesttube Extension was responsible.

Check this Info

http://atylmo.wordpress.com/2011/06/...d-fastesttube/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.