Safari 7.0.4 / show URL in address bar

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mojolicious, Jun 8, 2014.

1. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Sorry if this has already been asked/answered...

I've a profound and irrational dislike of unified address/search bars. If I want to search for something I'll go to my home page, google.co.uk. This is probably because I'm very old.

But... this means that I see the search string rather than the URL for a Google search...
    [​IMG]
    ...which is a pain in the chuff if I want to share that search with someone else.

I appreciate that the Google search URL will be properly displayed if I change Safari's default search engine to Yahoo or Bing, but that means that on the rare and accidental occasions when I type a search string directly into the address/search bar I'm presented with Yahoo/Bing results and that makes me sad.

So... is there a plug-in that allows me to completely disable the search functionality from the address/search field? Or alternatively a way to set the default search engine to 'nul'?

2. hologram macrumors 6502

Here's a roundabout way of getting the URL:

Drag the search bar (from the magnifying glass icon) onto the desktop, or into a folder, and the URL will be it's name.

3. mojolicious thread starter macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Ah, that works. I've also just discovered that a 'select all' – by either cmd-a or triple click – grabs the URL, too. So effectively there's no difference between the proper URL and the search string, should I wish to copy/paste the search and share it someone.

I'm now having to re-examine just why I hate seeing the search term as opposed to the URL. As I said in my first post, it *is* irrational!

4. hologram macrumors 6502

It never bothered me before, but now that you have me thinking about it... :mad:

:D:D:D