Safari 7.0: Flash Player Cannot Access Mic

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by pmz, Jul 10, 2013.

1. pmz macrumors 68000

Can anyone else replicate this?

I'm not too concerned as it is beta, but through 3 Dev previews there has been no change. There have also been a few major updates to Flash, and also no change.

The issue is with Adobe Flash Player's access to Camera & Microphone. Once "allowed" for a website, Safari normally provides expected access to the computer's webcam and & microphones....

...Webcams are accessed as normal, but Microphones cannot be detected by the Flash Player.

Can anyone else replicate this or has anyone else come across this?

Not looking for any snide comments about Flash in general, as they wouldn't even be relevant since this is a simple function that always works (and continues to work on Mavericks in both Firefox & Chrome).

2. Humex macrumors 6502

I confirm to the microphone and also it happens that sometimes you can not access the Flash preferences in System Preferences. You are using this version: Adobe Flash Player 11.8.800.94!

3. epphllps macrumors 6502

Confirmed here as well.

Also, I haven't had much luck with anything Java related in Safari on DP3. A java applet will open and then shortly close or become a blank white web page. All part of playing with a beta, but not fun when it works on DP1/2 then lose functionality on DP3.

Just make sure we get all bugs reported.

4. pmz thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks, will update as I see changes. What is the best way to report bugs for beta OS...do we use the Bug Reporter, or the public Feedback portal?

5. chrfr macrumors 603

Bug reporter.

6. pmz thread starter macrumors 68000

I have discovered that this is not bug, or at least only partially, as it is related to new Safari security settings under Privacy > Plug ins > Adobe Flash. "Allowing" does not seem to be enough...you need to manually change for a specific website to "Always allow without restrictions" in order to get microphone access back.

I really hope Apple reels this in a bit before public launch. Its fine to have site-specific security settings for plugins (even though they are redundant for Adobe Flash)...but to block normal usage without any indication of what's going on or how to fix it is bad news.