Safari 7.0 refresh-hated-function

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by vonbolve, Dec 13, 2013.

1. vonbolve macrumors newbie

MBA MID 13.
    Mavericks 10.9
    Safari 7.0

When ever I swipe the mouse to go back to the last web page I am seing a white blank page for a few seconds while Safari decides to "auto"-refresh that page. Yes, it's "small" and seems trivial. However i'm getting crasy about that.

Someone who can give me the best early christmas present ever,
    and help me with this?
    (without changing to chrome or firefox)

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

2. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

3. vonbolve thread starter macrumors newbie

Damn, thanks for the fast respond.
    I hope they fixed it soon, alot of ppl besides me that dosnt like it.

4. LV426 macrumors 6502a

For its own reasons, Safari appears to ignore long-standing web standards on page caching. Some pages absolutely require that they be refreshed when revisited, but many many stipulate that they may be safely cached. Safari's behaviour in this respect is very annoying.

I can imagine why caching might be limited on an iPhone or an iPad, where resources are somewhat constrained, but to implement a zero cache policy across the board for pages that request they be cached is maddeningly infuriating.

5. sparky1499 macrumors regular

sparky1499

This, from my own use, seems to have been fixed in 10.9.1

6. MadWhack macrumors newbie

Not for me :(

Still looking for a bloody fix, it's the worse when you're on a slow internet.

7. soloer macrumors 6502a

soloer

Not sure there is a fix. I've been looking for one for a year or two. You'll find various snippets online about disabling this or that, using different key strokes, etc, but none really fix the issue.

8. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Something really odd going on here, until reading this thread I've never noticed this "blank page pause'.
    Did some forward-backward swipes just now as a test, and I do not seem to have the problem mentioned.
    I'm running 10.9.1 on a 2012 mini using Safari 7.0.1.
    I'll just have to consider myself lucky I guess.

9. adamneer macrumors 6502

i've actually noticed more and more lately that the amount of page refreshes has been cut down by a lot. it seems that certain sites still require immediate refreshes upon swiping back, but others, such as this one, don't require the annoying refresh for me anymore. however, where i find this issue most annoying is in shopping sites that have endless scrolling as opposed to page based listings. Gilt, for example, requires the automatic refresh, but if you are halfway down a long list of products which were the result of a few endless scrolling cycles, you will often lose your place entirely in the window. when browsing through 100s of product listings, it is quite obnoxious to have to scroll back to the last few products that were in view when you left the page.