Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psik

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
While I am surfing - and these are not flash sites or heavy sites - like university library pages - safari fails at points, for instance it gets stuck at some elements of the page, or it just doesn't load the new page i click on full - all kinds of weird issues - are these things actually being solved in the new safari? Or is it just going to be a tad faster but still with bugs....

Gochugogi

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
Sandwich Isles
While I am surfing - and these are not flash sites or heavy sites - like university library pages - safari fails at points, for instance it gets stuck at some elements of the page, or it just doesn't load the new page i click on full - all kinds of weird issues - are these things actually being solved in the new safari? Or is it just going to be a tad faster but still with bugs....

Ah dunno, Safari 7 worked fine for me just about everywhere including on my university servers. I saw none of the issues you just described. I updated to 7.1 and noticed I can no longer edit my track files at ReverbNation. I keep Chrome and FireFox for those types of situations. No web browser is perfect as both Chrome and FireFox have failed on sites where Safari sailed right throughout. e.g., Chrome is unable to load my seller inventory list at Amazon whereas Safari can.

psik

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
Ah dunno, Safari 7 worked fine for me just about everywhere including on my university servers. I saw none of the issues you just described. I updated to 7.1 and noticed I can no longer edit my track files at ReverbNation. I keep Chrome and FireFox for those types of situations. No web browser is perfect as both Chrome and FireFox have failed on sites where Safari sailed right throughout. e.g., Chrome is unable to load my seller inventory list at Amazon whereas Safari can.

Sure all of them have problems - but I find that I run into more problems with safari, and i can say way more than I do with chrome and firefox. The same applied to my 2006 macbook which I recently replaced with this 2014 one - on that one and 10.6.8 firefox was just gorgeous, in fact rarely problematic. Safari on the other hand. So I think its not just fair to say they "all have problems" but that which one has more problems or issues, rendering sites, remaining stable after ong term use after many tabs are opened, and the such.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Look at any plugins, extensions that might be installed. For example, one of the ad block extensions I had worked great, but made a newspaper's website pig slow as it loaded some items on the main page. The other ad blocker, worked better on that particular page (not at computer now, so, no, don't recall which extension is which).

Personally, Safari has been a champ for me, but then again, I'm using only using three extensions (DoNotTrackme, an ad blocker, ClickToFlash).

ADD: heck, clear cache, history, cookies, etc. A bloated history has been a bane in the past for me.

Last edited:

Gochugogi

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
Sandwich Isles
In that case, I have the least amount of problems with Safari and, I'm almost ashamed to say, spend hours on it daily. Well, at least on my machines: 2013 Mini, 2014 iMac and 2009 Mac Pro. Obviously there is something else at play--likely your unique configuration of hardware and apps--that somehow conflict and cause problems. Maybe you need a directory or permissions repair. Sometime a PRAM reset fixes it or even a simple restart.

And, yes, I agree, certain plug-ins can mess things up and I've had to toss more than a few...

Last edited:

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Safari 7.1 has been a little buggy for me as well. My school site no longer works, and some sites render strange.

psik

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
In that case, I have the least amount of problems with Safari and, I'm almost ashamed to say, spend hours on it daily. Well, at least on my machines: 2013 Mini, 2014 iMac and 2009 Mac Pro. Obviously there is something else at play--likely your unique configuration of hardware and apps--that somehow conflict and cause problems. Maybe you need a directory or permissions repair. Sometime a PRAM reset fixes it or even a simple restart.

And, yes, I agree, certain plug-ins can mess things up and I've had to toss more than a few...

Interestingly enough I disabled all my extensions for the last 2 weeks and the problems continued.
I have a brand new 2014 13' mac, 16 gb memory 256 gb hard.

I don't have many apps installed at all (I have fantastical, google drive installed, microsoft word, adobe acrobat) otherwise it's a stock system

I can just say that in permission there is error related to safari that doesn't get repaired and som other ones that don't get repaired:
Permissions differ on “Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Resources/Safari.help/Contents/Resources/index.html”; should be lrwxr-xr-x ; they are -rwxr-xr-x .

Group differs on “Library/Preferences/com.apple.alf.plist”; should be 80; group is 0.

Permissions differ on “System/Library/CoreServices/Feedback Assistant.app

Otherwise there are two other causes:

My hard drive on the brand new thing is somehow having problems - leading to safari having problems.

Or Mavericks is just only stable with the way certain people use it, and it can't stand up to use my multiple users who may have different behaviours using their mac. Again, I must emphasize only a couple of months ago I was using firefox on my 2006 white macbook with extensions and I had no problems (although that was firefox, i didn't use safari on that machine much)

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
I have the exact same permission errors on two different macs (iMac and MBA), so this clearly a widespread thing. I have to say I regret installing the latest OSX Mavericks update. It made no discernable difference, except for introducing a few bugs. Guess Apple wants to push people over to the next OSX version... :rolleyes:

psik

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
I have the exact same permission errors on two different macs (iMac and MBA), so this clearly a widespread thing. I have to say I regret installing the latest OSX Mavericks update. It made no discernable difference, except for introducing a few bugs. Guess Apple wants to push people over to the next OSX version... :rolleyes:
Thanks. And at list I am not the only one with such an issue or issues

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
I tried the Safari 7.1 upgrade last night and immediately noticed that web pages (as when reading Macrumors forum posts) would not refresh when swiping or using the back arrow to go back. This is very annoying when trying to follow forum posts so for now I''m back to Safari 7.06.
This is also a problem for me with Yosemite and Safari 8.0

psik

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
I tried the Safari 7.1 upgrade last night and immediately noticed that web pages (as when reading Macrumors forum posts) would not refresh when swiping or using the back arrow to go back. This is very annoying when trying to follow forum posts so for now I''m back to Safari 7.06.
This is also a problem for me with Yosemite and Safari 8.0
Sad to hear I hope at least safari 8.0 will be fixed by apple before release. I'll be migrating to chrome vanary or Firefox sooner than later... Tired..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.