Safari 7 page back still broken?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by joec1101, Sep 7, 2013.

1. joec1101 macrumors 6502

Does the page back function work properly in Safari 7?

Or does it still do that Safari 6 annoying reload/scroll up instead of going back a page?

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Isn't that how it's supposed to work? I like that it reloads the page, no need to refresh.

3. Tiptizzle macrumors 6502

I was getting a blank page every time I tried to go back a page. Maybe that's what he is talking about.

And no, not fixed for me.

4. playmakerx macrumors member

5. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

6. Daeve macrumors member

Safari 6 is really annoying for reloading pages on "back". This is the "bug" the OP was talking about I think.

I'd have said not in my opinion - it shouldn't reload the page. Every time I hit back I have to wait a few seconds (longer on some heavy web pages) for the page to reload, it should cache the page like other browsers do for a faster (instant!) "back" experience - really irritating on forums, I end up clicking on the page on a new thread, but as it is the middle of reloading it means my click registers somewhere else on the page half the time.
    Maybe it works great for you guys with uber fast internet, but on 3/4 Mb it feels like a bug - a web search finds hundreds of complaints about it.

I was really hoping they'd fix this in the new version (or at least have the option in prefs).

7. MikhailT macrumors 601

The fact that they've improved it a lot in Safari 7 (rare whiteout reloads) suggests that they do not consider this to be broken at all.

Sadly, there's no way around this beside using a different browser.

8. thirdeyeopen666 macrumors 6502

thirdeyeopen666

Yes there is... use the three finger swipe instead. No reloads.

9. FreeStyLeMaSTeR macrumors member

On ML, I tried every possible combinations of the suggestions but I still got reloads, for example on macrumors forum. Now I am on DP7 and it doesn't reload anymore, instead it just reloads from ram. However, blank page issue is still present though it's very very rare happening comparing to ML.

10. MikhailT macrumors 601

That's what I've been using all the time (two instead of three), it's the same thing, it'll reload the page rather than loading a cached one. It's just less noticeable on Mavs but once in a while it'll result into a white page (likely something on a site's code that'd trigger this bug).

11. tanyet macrumors member

It seems do still being reloading in Mavericks but in a weird way. If I go back to a previous page it doesn't look like it's reloading. If I go back to a previous page and try to swipe up or down while the page is going back it will reload.

Maybe it's just hiding the reload animation every time. Kinda weird. I wish it would just cache the page.

12. bobright macrumors 601

It's stupid and needs to be fixed. I really am trying to like Safari so to sync with my iPhone and iPad but sheesh it feels like I'm on a freaking iPad 2 with no horsepower w/ all these constant reloads.

13. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

Safari in Mavericks: browse back: unexpected reload

Going back without a reload is sometimes desirable with (for example) content in the macrumors.com domain.

I'll be interested to see how Safari in Mavericks with AdBlock behaves with content in the forums.macrumors.com domain after the migration from vBulletin to XenForo.

Please see below, observations about concurrent use of AdBlock and Adblock Plus for Safari.

Today:

I use AdBlock or Adblock Plus, probably not both (at the moment I can't start my Mac to check). If whilst drafting a post such as this I go elsewhere, then back:

• going back does not reload
    • going back does represent my draft.
    Please see above.

Without starting my Mac to check, I doubt that per-tab web processes are part of the problem(s).