Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lazyjacket

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2014
Hi, after the upgrade to Yosemite Safari 8 is really slow to load pages. Takes 10-15 sec to load webpages, when I use chrome it takes under 1 sec to load the same page. On Mavericks Safari was running smooth. The iMac is an late 2013 27", 1TB FusionDrive, 16GB RAM and the i5 CPU.

On my MBPr also with Yosemite Safari is running as normal, fast and smooth.

Any pointers on what i can to do fix this? And are other people experiencing the same problem?

Abba1

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2014
Hi, after the upgrade to Yosemite Safari 8 is really slow to load pages. Takes 10-15 sec to load webpages, when I use chrome it takes under 1 sec to load the same page. On Mavericks Safari was running smooth. The iMac is an late 2013 27", 1TB FusionDrive, 16GB RAM and the i5 CPU.

On my MBPr also with Yosemite Safari is running as normal, fast and smooth.

Any pointers on what i can to do fix this? And are other people experiencing the same problem?

My experience has been that different Macs run differently and the same Mac runs differently at different times.

I doubt it is a memory problem since with 16 Gigs of RAM, you certainly have enough memory.

One problem may be WIFI interference from other devices. Have you tried both Macs at the same time? Is there interference on the channel you are on? (I like WiFi Explorer, but there are a number of good apps to help you see what other devices may be interfering.) Try changing the Channel. Also look at the TX Rate, which often fluctuates. Is it as high as it should be?

Another problem may be the websites you visit. Have you tried visiting the same website on both Macs. If the same website loads differently on the two Macs, then clearly you have a problem that may or may not be Yosemite related. Many websites are not really Safari friendly although more and more are becoming so. Try comparing response time on the same website.

Try resetting the NVRAM and the SMC.

In addition to what I have already mentioned, and in fact before resetting NVRAM and SMC, you should repair permissions and also you should do a Safe Boot. The latter cleans some caches, which also may be the source of the problem.

Finally, since your iMac is late 2013, I assume you have Apple Care. Try calling them and see what they say.

Last edited:

ijha

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2009
I'm having the same problem on my 2013 rMBP. I have a consistent list of the websites that I am visiting everyday yet safari's performance has gotten noticeably bad after Yosemite. With the enough RAM and the same visiting websites, I suspect the problem should be originated from safari itself or Yosemite.

Abba1

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2014
I'm having the same problem on my 2013 rMBP. I have a consistent list of the websites that I am visiting everyday yet safari's performance has gotten noticeably bad after Yosemite. With the enough RAM and the same visiting websites, I suspect the problem should be originated from safari itself or Yosemite.

I agree that it may have originated from Safari or Yosemite. But, it may not. When something is wrong, there are standard procedures for checking it out. Only after you have done so, should you conclude it is Safari or Yosemite.

AirThis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
It's probably not a Safari issue per se, but some 3rd party issue.

Try disabling any safari extensions you've got. Also, remove any proxy settings you might have defined. If that doesn't work, enable develop menu and empty caches.

https://guides.instructure.com/m/4214/l/60429-how-do-i-clear-my-safari-browser-cache

Jess13

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
I had a year-old Safari history and cache from Mavericks, my MacBook Pro using Safari in Yosemite was retardedly irritating. Delete browser history and clear cache.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
People said Safari is snappier in Yosemite compared to Chrome - I just am not seeing this or feeling this. Been using Safari for a few weeks. I really want it to be my default browser but I am running out of patience. Numerous times I have had to open up Chrome and run it to simply complete a task via web browsing.

NJFP

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2009
Safari runs like sludge in the winter time since I've D/L'd Yosemite. Current build 10.10.1. Also hangs and I get the beachball all the time too. I've reported it via public beta.

lazyjacket

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2014
It's probably not a Safari issue per se, but some 3rd party issue.

Try disabling any safari extensions you've got. Also, remove any proxy settings you might have defined. If that doesn't work, enable develop menu and empty caches.

https://guides.instructure.com/m/4214/l/60429-how-do-i-clear-my-safari-browser-cache

I don´t have any extensions installed in Safari. No proxy, and chrome uses under 1 sec to load webpages, Safari on the iMac uses up to 10 sec.

Have tried to delete the cache.

I was hoping for a fix in 10.10.1 since it was rumored it was release Safari 8.1

Any one found a fix? Or should i contact Apple, and hope for the best?

psik

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
I am starting to feel apple runs this forum based on some of the responses. Sorry not being helpful. Best thing is to downgrade to .mavericks, IMO

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I am starting to feel apple runs this forum based on some of the responses. Sorry not being helpful. Best thing is to downgrade to .mavericks, IMO

you got this info thru a tin hat? :D safari runs fine here (except, for some reason linkedin). EVERYONE'S experiences are different; for many people, yosemite is an awesome OS. personally, am loving using it...

lazyjacket

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2014
Found a solution to my problem, had to change the DNS.

Safari runs like normal, and running like Chrome and Firefox did on the normal DNS settings.

psik

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
you got this info thru a tin hat? :D safari runs fine here (except, for some reason linkedin). EVERYONE'S experiences are different; for many people, yosemite is an awesome OS. personally, am loving using it...
No everyone's experience are not difference there are a number of people with the same bad experience.

Stevedore

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2014
I had the same problem on an iMac & Macbook Pro. Here's what worked for me:

In System Preferences -> Network -> Advanced, change the Configure IPv6 setting to "Link-local only".

This made an immediate & huge difference in Safari performance on both machines. I'd be interested to hear if it does the same for anyone else having the same problem.

mart0747

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2014

In System Preferences -> Network -> Advanced, change the Configure IPv6 setting to "Link-local only".

This made an immediate & huge difference in Safari performance on both machines. I'd be interested to hear if it does the same for anyone else having the same problem.

This improved things for me. Before I was having 10 - 14 second load times, compared to 1 sec from Chrome. But what does this setting actually do?

stefanmaine

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2011
I have recently downloaded Yosemite onto a Mavericks MacBookPro. The OS now is 10.10.2. At first, Safari 8.0.3 was much slower than it had been on Mavericks; and frequent beach balls. I followed Stevedore's advice, and it has helped. But I regret Safari still is not as quick as Firefox 35.0.1 or Chrome 40.0.2214.94; although there seem to be fewer beach balls. Maybe it is my laptop ("early 2011" MacBookPro, 4GB RAM). I can't imagine that Apple has purposely degraded Safari, or ignored so many voiced concerns.

Like mart0747, I wonder what else, if anything, changing "Automatically" to "Link-local only" affects.

Last edited:

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014

same here. I'm considering resetting my SMC, can anyone please comment if i should do it. Its not that bad now but sometimes it gets slow and i get about 40 fps on basic games and friends get 60 on their 11"mac book air. I have the maxed 15". Same internet, same game.

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012

I am still having random issues in loading LinkedIn. Anyone have any idea on a fix? LinkedIn will load if using Chrome on the same rMPB.

roddypimentel

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2014
Hudson Valley, NY

I was having the same issue... Pages took for every to load sometimes, not always. After I did this, the issue seems to have abated. Just sharing.

I have a Summer 14 mBP 15" i7, 16GB Mem, 512SSD.

GatorGhost

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2014

My Safari performance was pretty good. Any periodic page loading delays, I more or less chalked up to my Yosemite beta participation and or my inconsistent cable connection. However your IPv6 work-around made a real difference. Why? I do not know, but anyway a good call from where I stand!

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
Brussels, Belgium, Europe
Thanks for this! I've been going nuts the last few weeks as Safari was either incredibly slow or not even loading Wikipedia, Facebook and a few other sites. After this change it's totally transformed :cool:

drkilmer

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2008
Safari 8 Slow to Load

Was having the same issue as others here. Tried modifying the IpV6 settings as suggested but that had no effect. Tried renewing my DHCP Lease and that seems to have fixed the problem for me.

Preferences / Network Preferences / Advanced / TCP/IP / Renew DHCP Lease.

cellocinema

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2015
now working

stevedore's way worked for me gracias!

Stu

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2005
New Zealand

Yes, I did that "Link-local only" setting, so far so good. Thanks Stevedore :)

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
Yes, I did that "Link-local only" setting, so far so good. Thanks Stevedore :)

I really want to use Safari. I continue to try over the past year. Had Yosemite. Now upgraded again.

Did the IP6 local thing. No luck.

Why is this so freaking difficult?

Just so damn slow vs chrome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.