Safari 9 and bookmark folders.

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by Pellatonian, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Pellatonian macrumors newbie

Pellatonian

I use bookmark folders a lot to open groups of related bookmarks.

Pre-Safari 9 the action 'Open in Tabs' replaced all the existing tabs with the ones corresponding to the bookmarks in the folder. With Safari 9 the menu item now says 'Open in New Tabs' and the existing open tabs are kept. This is a change in behaviour that made me migrate from Mozilla Firefox years ago, I don't see the advantage in having to manage the huge number of tabs that can result.

Using the option key while selecting 'Open in New Tabs' changes the selection to 'Replace Tabs' which is what I want to do, but after years of using Safari and opening bookmark folders a hundred time a day I can't train myself to remember the option key. Ideally this behaviour would be controlled by a Safari preference.

Does anyone know a 'defaults' setting which might change the behaviour back?

Or is there some other way to fool Safari to do the 'right' thing?

Thanks for any advice.

2. dsemf macrumors regular

I am afraid that I cannot answer your question. Not that it is relevant, I will relate my experience.

I also use the "Open in New Tabs" feature. Prior to Safari 9, I would frequently wipe out existing tabs that I wanted to keep around. To deal with this, I would first open a new Safari window and then open the tab set. Now I had lots of Safari windows.

With Safari 9, I default to "adding tabs", but occasionally I will use the option key to "replace tabs". One feature I really like is that even when doing a replace tabs, pinned tabs are not affected. Now I only have one Safari window.

DS