Safari, a security risk?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CplBadboy, Mar 1, 2008.

1. CplBadboy macrumors 6502

Hello all
    i originally had this post removed from Apple Forums as i guess they are a bit red faced at Apple right now after i read this report online at Yahoo news. Surely we as a community deserve to know whether we are being phished online?? Heres the link http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20080228/tc_infoworld/95634

I too was red faced as it was only last week that i was telling my matey how great safari was and mac in general. Whats the general opinion on these findings, just to be safe i use Fx2 too now o have speedy safer surf online.
    Regards
    Stu

2. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

I don't think Safari is that great. I use Firefox on OS X and a combination of IE7 and Firefox on Vista. The Windows version of Safari is pretty bad IMO.

3. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

At the end of the day, phishing relies on a large dose of user stupidity, but anything that can reduce the risk must be a good thing, so Apple need to get with the times and implement their solution asap.

4. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Safari has the best integration with the OS and excellent standards support so I'll keep using it.

It's also WebKit, not Gecko, who is first to implement new standards, such as parts of the CSS 3 spec / HTML 5 spec.

5. Tonerl Guest

Safari is getting there but still has some way to go on OS X (on Windows it's dreadful). The security issues that have been raised must be addressed simply because there are too many people trying to take advantage of the unwary.

Another aspect of Safari that needs attention (from developers of add-ons?) is add-blocking, including flash and animated GIFs. Firefox has these facilities (via add-ons) and they work well. The Safari equivalents are less effective.

Since Safari is based on open-source material, work done on it will benefit the wider community.

BTW, Firefox 3 (in beta at the moment) works very well (for me, at least!).