Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
I realize it is a beta but Safari experience has been god awful in beta 1 and beta 2. Slow, often unresponsive, loses connection to Internet, etc. It happens on a variety of websites (ESPN, Macrumors) as well.

Anyone else experiencing really bad Safari issues? No issue with Chrome which is back to being the default.

Shawzborne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2013
Yes Safari is extremely buggy in Yosemite has been for all the DP's has many issues.

For example sometimes certain webpages load weirdly and some of the safari services bug out and take a lot of the ram

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
I have Public Beta 2 and Safari and not one issue has popped up, so I don't know what's wrong with yours. I'm careful with my programs that are up to date, and apps that are current. I have no slow downs and my sites are snappy from Mavericks. Very pleased with Safari. No dropped connections either. So pleased with Yosemite PB 2 that I have it on my two main systems, no back ups

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
I have Public Beta 2 and Safari and not one issue has popped up, so I don't know what's wrong with yours. I'm careful with my programs that are up to date, and apps that are current. I have no slow downs and my sites are snappy from Mavericks. Very pleased with Safari. No dropped connections either. So pleased with Yosemite PB 2 that I have it on my two main systems, no back ups

I agree. I've had no major problems at all in Public Beta 1 and 2, besides some minor graphics glitches (more system-wide than Safari itself). I absolutely love it!

If you're having problems, perhaps a complete Safari reset would help?

GoldenChild

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2014
I agree. I've had no major problems at all in Public Beta 1 and 2, besides some minor graphics glitches (more system-wide than Safari itself). I absolutely love it!

If you're having problems, perhaps a complete Safari reset would help?
Same here.

matreya

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Anyone else experiencing really bad Safari issues? No issue with Chrome which is back to being the default.

You see, for most of us, Safari and Yosemite are working perfectly well, and Safari 8 is snappier than previous versions under Mavericks.

Clearly Apple is having problems installing a perfect copy of Yosemite on some machines... maybe it's because people have f-d up installs of mavericks and they need to do a clean install of Mavericks BEFORE installing Yosemite...

ASKendrew

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2011
United Kingdom
My experience of Safari on Yosemite is really good actually, a lot smoother than the last version. The only issue I have is that tabs sometime disappear from the top of the window (a simple restart of Safari solves it though).

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
i have experiences slow page loads and stalling of the latest Safari. It is better though then the first public beta was. That would sometimes stall indefinitely. There is no doubt in my mind it has issues at least for late 2013 rMBP.

z06gal

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2011
Safari is outstanding for me so far and seems to get better with each DP release ;)

kissmo

Cancelled
Jun 29, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
I realize it is a beta but Safari experience has been god awful in beta 1 and beta 2. Slow, often unresponsive, loses connection to Internet, etc. It happens on a variety of websites (ESPN, Macrumors) as well.

I get your pain but I have the feeling a new era is coming.
The era of "safari feels less snappier" after each update :)

I think they will fix everything at release time - and if not then .1 release - and if not then .2 release
:)

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
While I found Safari really buggy in PB1, even then I found it much more responsive than in Mavericks. I've actually been really pleased with Safari's performance in Yosemite.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
While I would've agreed during my use of PB1 that safari was pretty bad (along with everything else), stability and speed have greatly improved for me with PB2.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
I realize it is a beta

You obviously don't. Betas often run much slower than final releases. They have lots of debug code running and are filled with bugs. That's why it is a beta and not release software. Please ignore the Google description of beta.

but Safari experience has been god awful in beta 1 and beta 2. Slow, often unresponsive, loses connection to Internet, etc. It happens on a variety of websites (ESPN, Macrumors) as well.

How about describing your setup.

I have a mid '12 rMBP 15" 2.6GHz with 512GB SSD running PB2.

I have no issues with Safari.

JoelBaka

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2014
You obviously don't. Betas often run much slower than final releases. They have lots of debug code running and are filled with bugs. That's why it is a beta and not release software. Please ignore the Google description of beta.

How about describing your setup.

I have a mid '12 rMBP 15" 2.6GHz with 512GB SSD running PB2.

I have no issues with Safari.

I have a Macbook (white unibody) late 2009 Core2Duo 250 GB HDD running PB2 on a separate partition. Safari works oke, better than in Mavericks. But tabs sometimes disappear and it could be faster.

(I'm also back to Chrome, only because Safari won't remember what pages I have zoomed in. And zooming in all the time is really a hassle)

SmOgER

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2014
I have a Macbook (white unibody) late 2009 Core2Duo 250 GB HDD running PB2 on a separate partition. Safari works oke, better than in Mavericks. But tabs sometimes disappear and it could be faster.

(I'm also back to Chrome, only because Safari won't remember what pages I have zoomed in. And zooming in all the time is really a hassle)

Just use AllPagesZoom, it can be customized for each website as far as I can remember.

tmoerel

Suspended
Jan 24, 2008

Are you using any Extensions. I found that several of these were causing problems. Especially AdBlockPlus was severely slowing safari down and causing many crashes. Now that I have removed it my Safari is....well....sorry to say it.... Snappy!

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
While it's definitely smoother and faster, my biggest issue since day one DP1 is clearing history. Previous versions had one simple choice, clear all. Now, we have "the last hour", "today", "today and yesterday", and "all time". "all time" clears everything, more than previous versions, including logging you out of every site you're in, removing notification settings, requires the user to re-verify bank accounts on their Mac's - not one thing is left behind. History should be simply websites visited, not wipe out all data.

Many bug reports have been filed, most recognized, but if this is the norm, I'll be using Firefox as my standard browser for the first time in over a decade.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
While it's definitely smoother and faster, my biggest issue since day one DP1 is clearing history. Previous versions had one simple choice, clear all. Now, we have "the last hour", "today", "today and yesterday", and "all time". "all time" clears everything, more than previous versions, including logging you out of every site you're in, removing notification settings, requires the user to re-verify bank accounts on their Mac's - not one thing is left behind. History should be simply websites visited, not wipe out all data.

Many bug reports have been filed, most recognized, but if this is the norm, I'll be using Firefox as my standard browser for the first time in over a decade.

Agree 100%. Did you make a suggestion to Apple ? Was thinking of this. I have a few sites that I want to keep the passcode active and not having to do it all over again....:(

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Agree 100%. Did you make a suggestion to Apple ? Was thinking of this. I have a few sites that I want to keep the passcode active and not having to do it all over again....:(

I suggested separating "History" and "Website Data" (the addition that clears all data), as well as simplifying the options to one, "clear all". Private Browsing doesn't work for me, and many others, as I tend to use my history during particular sessions and at the end merely want to clear sites I've visited. Hopefully Apple will recognize this and at least add this option back.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
I suggested separating "History" and "Website Data" (the addition that clears all data), as well as simplifying the options to one, "clear all". Private Browsing doesn't work for me, and many others, as I tend to use my history during particular sessions and at the end merely want to clear sites I've visited. Hopefully Apple will recognize this and at least add this option back.

Good suggestion. Will do same if that will help

dave2010

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2014
Canberra
I'm finding Safari so slow it's almost unusable. It's a pity because I like it a lot except for the very slow loading of webpages.
I've removed all extensions, and tried a number of things and my Mac is only a year old.
Chrome runs perfectly so I'm using that and hope Apple fixes the problem.

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
I like the new design and layout but Safari is very slow, buggy, unresponsive (PB2). Really hope they sort it out before release as the rest of the OS is pretty great. I find myself booting into my Windows 7 partition and using FF more often just now.

Oh and I only use two add ons usually, Adblock and Ghostery. I've since removed Ghostery and it seems to have helped a little and there's just no way on this green earth that I'll ever browse the web without either Adblock or ABP - the former feeling better than the latter on Safari.

Two things I will say that are excellent about the new Safari is HTML 5 Youtube and Netflix, that alone is excellent! I just hope Chrome and Firefox follow suite because Flash and Silverlight are energy sucking resource hogs that need to die.

Last edited:

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
I'm finding Safari so slow it's almost unusable. It's a pity because I like it a lot except for the very slow loading of webpages.
I've removed all extensions, and tried a number of things and my Mac is only a year old.
Chrome runs perfectly so I'm using that and hope Apple fixes the problem.

I like the new design and layout but Safari is very slow, buggy, unresponsive (PB2). Really hope they sort it out before release as the rest of the OS is pretty great. I find myself booting into my Windows 7 partition and using FF more often just now.

Oh and I only use two add ons usually, Adblock and Ghostery. I've since removed Ghostery and it seems to have helped a little and there's just no way on this green earth that I'll ever browse the web without either Adblock or ABP - the former feeling better than the latter on Safari.

Two things I will say that are excellent about the new Safari is HTML 5 Youtube and Netflix, that alone is excellent! I just hope Chrome and Firefox follow suite because Flash and Silverlight are energy sucking resource hogs that need to die.

I'm a little confused that both above posters are having issues, but for me, not a one with Safari. I really don't think its Apple's Safari that is the issue, but the user, since many others are not having issues.

Has to do with something, but I don't know what exactly. Poor download, some bad software/hardware/WiFi/modem being used, any number of reasons.

My set up.....

1....I have a Mid 2014 MacBook Pro Retina/128 GB SSD/8 GB memory/Yosemite PB#2/only AdBlock installed/Pages and nothing else.

2....I have an Apple Airport Extreme, latest model 802.11ac/Faster 5 Ghz being used with the best channel 40 for my area, and applied/ 1300 Tx rate/newer modem from my provider.

Since day one with the Public Beta 2, I have had fast Safari speeds, no pickup, no lag, and no drops at all. Why is it that many are having no problems but others are. Cannot be Safari, but the user I believe. If not, please tell me why....:confused:

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
Since day one with the Public Beta 2, I have had fast Safari speeds, no pickup, no lag, and no drops at all. Why is it that many are having no problems but others are. Cannot be Safari, but the user I believe. If not, please tell me why....:confused:

Well it's still beta so people will have different issues with it.

FWIW, I've not experienced any slowness with Safari since DP4. It's been really pretty fast for me and it's definitely very snappy :). The one issue I had was it taking absurd amount of memory (5 GB+) when loading gifs which seem to have been fixed with DP 7 (yay!).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.