Safari "accepting cookies" option resetting

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bindigok, Mar 30, 2009.

1. bindigok macrumors regular

I always keep Safari set to only accept cookies from sites that I visit. But I've noticed that when I reboot it resets to accept all cookies and then I have all kinds of weird cookies (not that big of a deal, but it bothers me that I have crap from sites I've never been to). And I'm not sure if there are other things getting in through these cookies (forgive my lack of technical wording on that one).

I've searched and searched all over for an answer to why Safari keeps resetting that option. I've tried resetting Safari, then selecting to only accept cookies from sites I visit. But when I reboot, it is set to accept all cookies again. What's going on?

2. bindigok thread starter macrumors regular

I've been looking to see if certain sites are causing Safari to reset this option. Clearly there is a bug in this version of Safari. OVerall, I've been disappointed with the recent versions of Safari. It was much better years ago, now each release has been filled with bugs. I'd hope Safari 4 fixes these bugs, but with all of the new features I'm sure it will only introduce more bugs. I wish they would stop with the new features and focus on debugging the current version.

3. mesa macrumors newbie

Not sure about the pref resetting, but do keep in mind that every WebKit app on your system (including Mail, Adium, other browsers) share cookies with Safari. Some of the cookies you see in your list may actually be set by those other programs.

4. bindigok thread starter macrumors regular

I only use Mail regularly. Occasionally I use iChat, but I haven't since this started. I don't use any other browsers. I do use iTunes. And my mother has a user account that she uses.