Safari adblock by CSS

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by burgen, Aug 11, 2009.

1. burgen macrumors newbie

I hate ads in webpages. adblock plus is a wonderful gift, but it is only for Firefox. I really like Safari on my mac and use it 95% of the time, thus I need something to block the ads on Safari. Luckily I found CSS.

CSS adblock has certain advantages, it is nonaggressive and can be customized to specific websites. There are quite a few CSS adblock on the internet and they generally do a good job. However, they are more of general instead of specific. So for the small number of websites I frequently visited none of the CSS I found could block ads 100%. So I made a CSS specific for the several websites I often visit.

Here is the CSS ads removal Version 1.0.

To install, in Safari/Preference/Advanced/Style sheet, select the file and it is done!

In the current Version 1.0, it blocks ads from

NYTimes.com
    ESPN.com
    CNNSI.com
    macrumors.com
    macupdate.com
    facebook.com
    rottentomatoes.com
    Gmail
    Nature.com
    Sciencemag.com
    Cell.com
    mitbbs.com
    wenxuecity.com
    6park.com

More websites may be added in later versions.

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Apparently you never did a Google search for "safari adblock" otherwise you would have found it.

3. burgen thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for pointing out. Again the CSS is intended to work only/specifically for the sites listed (it may work on other sites, but not on purpose). But it does a better job on these sites (100% ad blocking) than most adblockers. This is for anyone who also often visit these sites.

4. Wheelie4 macrumors regular

Wheelie4

Thanks a lot burgen. Seems to work great. Safari Adblock is great and I had been using it up until a week or so ago when Safari Cookies and Glims was updated to support running Safari in 64bit mode. When Safari Adblock can operate with Safari in 64bit mode I'll probably go back to it. Tried floppymoose.com's css but it hasn't been updated for a long time and lots get by. Advantage to burgens css is it seems to block better than floppymoose's and lets me run Safari in 64bit mode. Tried Glimmerblock but it slows down surfing/page loading. Thanks again burgen. :D

5. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

GlimmerBlocker is better than CSS adblocking and works great with 64-bit Safari.