Safari & AdBlocking

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MagicUK, May 22, 2007.

1. MagicUK macrumors regular

MagicUK

So I have both Safari and Firefox installed, but for general surfing I like the simplicity of Safari. One thing I would like however is AdBlocking. What are you using?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Here is the PimpMySafari adblocking section...its a really great site :)

3. BoughtAAPL@4.00 macrumors member

What do you think makes sites like this one freely available to everyone? Ad revenue. By blocking ads, you deprive the site you're visiting of its lifeblood.

I can see blocking things like doubleclick.net cookies and other insidious privacy-invading things some sites throw at you. And blocking pop-ups and pop-unders, as the site is doing something you didn't give them permission to do.

But blocking fixed ads on a web page/site that you find value in is basically stealing the site owner's band width without paying for it. If you don't like ads, that's fine, don't visit their site. Or send them a couple bucks to make up for the lost revenue.

Parallels between TV commercial skipping and ad blocking are non-arguments. TV commercials take time away from you; an ad banner does not.

4. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I use Safariblock. It works (until Leopard comes out and gets rid of InputManagers! :().

Some things everyone needs in this block list ('*' is wildcard):
    *intellitxt*
    *kontera*
    *clicksor*

Those all are those crappy text links that just #$%@ me off.