Safari address bar help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ritmomundo, Jul 31, 2012.

1. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

In the previous version of Safari, I'd type in "macrumors" and it would automatically take me to macrumors.com. Same with "amazon" -> amazon.com, "ebay" -> ebay.com, etc. Now that they've integrated the address bar with the search bar, typing "macrumors" takes me to a google search page (unless macrumors.com is already in my saved history).

Is there any way to get that feature back? Or a keyboard shortcut to automatically add in the .com/.net/.whatever (like in firefox, you can push command+return, or in Windows/Firefox/IE its CTRL+enter)?

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Unless you're actually searching why not just use bookmarks. The menu bar ones are really handy.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I agree with you and have not found a way to bring this back, even with a KB shortcut. Closest is if you start typing "apple" you can use the down arrow key to scroll down to "Go to site..."

4. ritmomundo thread starter macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

I do use bookmarks (and the bookmark bar). I'm talking about the sites I dont have bookmarked.

There doesnt seem to be a solution to this yet. Hopefully theyll fix it in the next update.

5. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

I've noticed that the universal bar also pops up your history, so if I type 'macrumors' all I have to do is arrow down to 'macrumors.com' before hitting enter.