Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Schtibbie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 13, 2007
I don't know if this is a UI bug or not, but I only just recently noticed a barely noticeable transparent menu that pops up overlayed over the top of a website in safari (iPhone 6, ios 8.1.1 and 8.1.2). If you tap the address bar and then tap near the top of the screen, you get two menu options "Add to Favorites" and "Request Desktop Site".

Those are handy, but.. They're so nearly impossible to see that I wonder if it's rendering wrong. I've seen articles on the web showcasing the "Request Desktop Site" new feature, but in those articles it looks NOTHING like what I see. It looks like a solid-filled menu on those sites.

Bug?

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
I have a white background.

Edit: Did some testing on my iphone6. Portrait it appears to be white and the window covers the whole screen. But in landscape it's a pop up window with very slight transparency. Maybe 5-10% with blur.

Schtibbie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 13, 2007
I have a white background.

Edit: Did some testing on my iphone6. Portrait it appears to be white and the window covers the whole screen. But in landscape it's a pop up window with very slight transparency. Maybe 5-10% with blur.

I don't understand this. You have an iPhone 6. I have an iPhone 6. That menu, of mine, is rendering 100% transparent (no frosting, no shadowing to help see the letters) in portrait mode. Nearly impossible to see. In landscape, it does like yours - a nice frosted window that makes the text easy to see over the underlying website. Why should yours be any different from mine? Have you reduced transparency or motion or whatever?

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
All of those settings are set to default. Maybe try closing all tabs and quit safari from multitasking. Restart your phone. Maybe even clear cookies in settings. Or reset all settings. Last resort would be restore from backup or starting as new.

Schtibbie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 13, 2007
All of those settings are set to default. Maybe try closing all tabs and quit safari from multitasking. Restart your phone. Maybe even clear cookies in settings. Or reset all settings. Last resort would be restore from backup or starting as new.

My phone has always rendered this menu this way, reboots and all. Not sure how the same phone (which lacks any other problem) that's on the same OS level as everyone else could draw a menu differently. I'm not trying a reset of all settings just yet..

Anyway, here's what it looks like (see photo). Note how nearly impossible it is to read the overlayed menu. I got here by clicking the address bar and then tapping near the screen top.

Attachments

• screenshotsafarimenu.PNG
    screenshotsafarimenu.PNG
    325.7 KB · Views: 213

Schtibbie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 13, 2007
http://images.anandtech.com/doci/8321/IMG_2538.PNG

That's what it looks like on mine. On yours you can't even see favorits or frequently visited sited at all. Have you changed anything in the safari settings? Just to make sure. Are you jailbroken?

Not jailbroken. I have solved it though. I didn't have any sites marked as favorites. Apparently, when you have exactly zero sites as favorites, you also cannot see frequently accessed sites and the menu renders all messed up and transparent like I showed. Try it if you're willing. Erase your favorites (not your bookmarks though).

It's a bug.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Not jailbroken. I have solved it though. I didn't have any sites marked as favorites. Apparently, when you have exactly zero sites as favorites, you also cannot see frequently accessed sites and the menu renders all messed up and transparent like I showed. Try it if you're willing. Erase your favorites (not your bookmarks though).

It's a bug.
Yup, having or not having favorites is what seems to affect it. It's been around since 8.0 basically.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I enlarged your screen dump and then tried pressing cancel (on your screen) to come out of it. Doh.#

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.